*updated to include go go from big hero 6 and honey lemon. i cannot add any more photos, so i’ll make another post with other princesses/non-princesses (including iridessa) ALSO elena will be in the next post :)
aladdin trivia: 2/12 “aladdin throws an apple to jasmine several times throughout the movie, including when they fly over greece on the magic carpet ride. in ancient greece, throwing an apple to a woman is considered a marriage proposal.”
I finally completed my own Disney series: Disney Princess Outfit Swap!
First is Moana and Elsa, second is Anna and Elena, third is Belle and Rapunzel, fourth is Tiana and Merida, fifth is Pocahontas and Cinderella, sixth is Snow White and Mulan, seventh is Jasmine and Ariel, and finally Aurora and Emperor Kuzco!!!!
Please reblog and maybe leave a comment of which one y’all like the most!!!!
Listen guys. I LOVE those Disney gals who saved themselves and wrote their own story. I love Mulan saving all of China and taking command of an army. I love Merida standing up for herself and winning her own hand. I love Tiana, who worked hard every second of her life in order to earn her own happily ever after and achieve her dream. I love Anna and Elsa constantly fighting for each other and saving each other through sisterly love. And you all know I ADORE Moana and her journey to find herself and save her island. Incredible characters, one and all!
But can we remember Cinderella, slaving away for an abusive stepmother who constantly tried to diminish her worth, while Cinderella still stayed kind and strong?
Can we remember Snow White, who lost both of her parents, only to be left with a jealous stepmother who TRIED TO KILL HER?
Can we remember Aurora, who was cursed as a tiny baby, taken from her parents, and lived a lonely life with no friends except animals and 3 ditzy (albeit lovable) fairies, never permitted to meet anyone new or go on real adventures and discover life?
Can we talk about all the Disney heroines who had difficult beginnings, who were treated unjustly, who withstood adversity but maintained their kindness and never stopped dreaming? Cinderella never asked for a prince to come take her away. She asked for just one night where she didn’t have to dress in rags and endure the abuse that surrounded her daily. Ariel longed to be a part of the human world long before she met Eric, he simply gave her even more reason to finally go. Megara saved Hercules and sacrificed herself, not only for true love but to save everyone! Jasmine may have fallen in love with Aladdin, but she saved him as much as he saved her. Remember Kida and all she had to endure. Remember Belle, who was smart and ambitious and so ahead of her time. It’s not wrong for Snow White to dream of finding true love. She grew up never knowing what it was like to be loved at all! OF COURSE she would dream of someone who accepted her and treated her well!
So yes. Let’s teach girls that family relationships are important. Let’s teach them how to work hard to get where they want to go. Let’s teach them how to save themselves, how to believe in themselves, and how to stand up for what they believe is right. Let’s remind them that they are “not a prize to be won.” But let’s also help them understand that asking for help isn’t a sign of weakness and that falling in love isn’t pathetic or shameful. True, they don’t NEED a man. But if they happen to find someone who makes them happy and treats them better than they’ve ever been treated, that’s great too! Its not a sign of weakness. It’s just another beautiful part of their story.
I made a post about the whole live action Aladdin movie and my girl Naomi as Jasmine but I’m gonna make another one now that it’s official because Twitter is a mess rn and I’m really conflicted about it all.
Here we go:
1) I really love Naomi and if you follow me you know this, and I’ve been waiting of her to get some recognition like this for so long because she’s a really talented actress and she deserves success. I’m proud that she landed the role, she can definitely pull it off and I understand that she took the role because she’s not a big actress and this will definitely change her life but-
2) The cast for Aladdin should’ve been Middle Eastern. The animated film was based off of a Middle Eastern story and the movie itself starts with a song called ‘Arabian Nights.’ But apparently this wasn’t clear enough for Disney when they were casting for this movie. Disney sent out casting descriptions looking for actors and actresses of Middle Eastern and Indian descent. Apparently Disney doesn’t understand that poc aren’t interchangeable.
3) Honestly I blame Disney for all this. They should’ve known better.
4) Don’t come at my girl Naomi with bullshit like saying she isn’t pretty enough to be Jasmine or saying she isn’t a good actress because she is. I’ve been seeing a lot of backlash on all this and while I agree that Disney should’ve cast a Middle Eastern actress for Jasmine, I will not tolerate any slander for Naomi on any irrelevant shit like her looks or her acting. Naomi deserves better than that.
5) While there is definitely a colourism problem when it comes to casting in Hollywood, don’t erase the fact that Naomi is a woc and don’t call her white just because she’s biracial.
6) This isn’t like the whole ScarJo thing with GITS and it isn’t whitewashing. It’s a whole different thing. Disney was the one looking for actors of Indian descent instead of just actors of Middle Eastern descent like they should have, and it’s really their fault that a Middle Eastern actress wasn’t cast. Naomi auditioned for a role that was asking for people of Indian descent like her, but Disney should’ve just held auditions for Middle Eastern actresses to be faithful to the source material instead of making it seem that poc are interchangeable.
7) Disney and the director (who is white) are mainly at fault here. Disney has done a lot of stuff like this I’m not surprised. Also, the director should’ve been Middle Eastern too.
8) I’m disappointed that my girl Naomi is gonna get a lot of hate for this role because I love her and she doesn’t deserve this mess. Again, Disney should’ve looked for a Middle Eastern actress. (WB and DC can y'all cast Naomi and save her from all this pls?)
9) On the other hand (no I’m not defending Disney, just adding some more facts on why Disney made this casting decision) the animated film took place in a fictional place called Agrabah and there were some Indian culture influences in the film (Jasmine’s palace being based off of the Taj Mahal) and although it took place in a Middle Eastern area, the film kinda blended stuff from other cultures and that lead to Disney being unclear about it all and looking Indian actors for these roles instead of just Middle Eastern actors.
10) We’ll have to see if they change the location of where the story takes place to explain why Jasmine is Indian while Aladdin is Middle Eastern. They could do that to justify the whole thing, but for the millionth time, Disney should’ve had the entire cast be Middle Eastern (I don’t know if Genie counts because that’ll just be voice work and he’s not human).
So yeah, I’m happy Naomi is finally getting big roles but I don’t want it to happen like this and it makes me sad. She deserves better, and there’s a Middle Eastern actress out there who could’ve had the opportunity for this role who also deserves better.
Please don’t send Naomi any hate tho. This is mainly Disney’s mistake.