*21457

High rates of Maori SUDI in Wellington prompt hui

Exceptionally high rates of Maori SUDI (Sudden Unexpected Death in Infancy) have prompted a call to action hui being held at Kokiri Marae in Petone this Thursday 27 August.

“We are convening this hui to reach both community and workforce, because rates of SUDI for Maori in this area are so high,” says Whakawhetu Regional Advisor for Wellington Jeanine Tamati-Paratene. Whakawhetu is a government funded national SUDI prevention programme for Maori.

“From 2008-2012, 31 babies died of SUDI in the three district health boards covering the Wellington region. That equates to six deaths a year or one baby every two months. More than half of these deaths were in the Hutt Valley District Health Board and overall 71% of these deaths were pepi Maori.”

Over 100 whanau and workforce are expected to gather at Kokiri Marae on Thursday to explore the factors that lead to SUDI.

“There are many factors that lead to SUDI,” says Whakawhetu National Manager Kathrine Clarke. “For Maori the combined factors of high rates of smoking amongst our Mums and bed-sharing mean that our pepi are especially vulnerable.

"Encouraging whanau to use the safe-sleeping device Wahakura and supporting Mum to quit smoking are two of our most significant strategies to bring Maori SUDI rates down.

"We have also developed the PEPE model, which is made up of four simple messages about keeping baby safe. This has been designed into a resource which families can keep on their fridge. This is the first stage of designing a suite of resources to support great parenting in whanau.”

The Protecting our Mokopuna Seminar has emerged out of a collaboration with Kokori Marae and other health providers in the Hutt Valley region.

Participants at the hui will hear from SUDI experts at the seminar including:

- Dr David Tipene-Leach and Professor Ed Mitchell who are both leading experts in the area of SUDI prevention

- Leith Porter-Samuels a Maori midwife and Kaupapa Maori birth educator

- Kahurangi Ross an advocate for Shaken Baby Prevention

- unique testimonials from a group of young Maori parents.

'Terminator: Genisys' ends China film blackout, earns $23.1 million

Ending a two-month blackout period for foreign films, “Terminator: Genisys” entered mainland Chinese movie theaters on Sunday, taking in $21.3 million on its opening day.

The box office for the Paramount Pictures film was robust for a Sunday opening, particularly given that the movie had been released in other territories in early July. Mainland moviegoers have been starved for fresh offerings since early August as Chinese authorities kept up their domestic-film protection period.

The earnings were enough to put the Arnold Schwarzenegger movie, which earned $89 million stateside, in third place for the Monday-to-Sunday frame, according to film industry consulting firm Artisan Gateway. Schwarzenegger had traveled to China earlier in the year to stoke interest in the film.

In first place for the second week running was “Go Away, Mr. Tumor,” based on the real-life story of a Chinese cartoonist battling terminal cancer. The Wanda Pictures film has now earned a total of $66 million.

In second place for the week was “Bride Wars” from Bona Film Group, which earned $23.6 million in its first four days in cinemas. The film is remake of the 2009 American film starring Kate Hudson and Anne Hathaway.

In fourth place was the summer box-office smash “Monster Hunt,” directed by DreamWorks Animation veteran Raman Hui. The film added $18.1 million to its overall take and has now hauled in $364.3 million, Artisan said; it may yet still overtake “Furious 7” to become the all-time box-office champ in China.

In fifth place for the week was the local romance “Cities in Love,” which opened with $7.9 million as China marked Qixi, the local equivalent of Valentine’s Day.

Follow @JulieMakLAT for news from China