In reference to you saying that you don't shit on anyone who has different opinions then you, "I fucking hate elriel. Every time it shows up on my dash I want to vomit..." "... except to say that Elriel can die". Would you say that these quotes from you encourage friendly discourse? Cause I wouldn't. You said other inflammatory things about this topic but I felt these quotes summed it up the best. Honestly I've seen you encourage us all to be nice and polite to each other,but then you post this?
The negative things you say about ships or other things you don’t like are the opposite of what you tell others to do. So I’m calling hypocrite. You definitely will shit on someone and their opinions if you don’t like them, a quick skim of your tags clearly shows that. So please get off your high horse and stop pretending your *above such things* because you’re clearly not. This post came out more aggressive then I intended, but hypocrisy really gets me. Sorry for that.
So I’m responding to this publicly because apparently I need to contextualize a lot
of what I’ve said, as well as clarify the difference between real
people and fictional people, and having a negative opinion versus being a
jerk to said real people.
Since you have pointed out my feelings about that particular ship, I thought I would contextualize your argument a bit within my blog. I am very much in a numbers mood, so bear with me:
- I have made 2,253 posts on this blog.
- I did a search of my tags, as you did, and I have around 20 posts that mention el*riel, but just to be safe I rounded up to 30. That means that 0.01% of my blog has ever discussed them.
- To contrast, my pre-acowar OTP was moriel; a quick search of that tag reveals around 400 posts, or 17.7% of my blog talking about them in some way.
Now, clearly, I do not like el*riel. That much is glaringly obvious. What you failed to take into account is how little I discuss them, the fact that I did put my negative opinions under the cut with a warning yesterday, and that I did also start tagging those posts as anti, or using “el*riel” so that it wouldn’t come up when people searched for the ship. I avoid talking about them bc I know that it might hurt people’s feelings because they have difficulty understanding that me not liking a ship does not mean I don’t like them. I do what I can to help people avoid my negative opinions.
So cherry-picking my opinions on that particular ship, when it’s clear I don’t like it, while failing to take into account the other 2,223 posts I have made, and while failing to recognize that I have done what I could to spare people from my negativity on the topic, seems a bit… well, you cherry-picked your evidence. And a few of the posts you mentioned are months old, which… I had 10 followers at the beginning of the year when I started this blog, so I wasn’t exactly concerned at the time about anyone actually paying attention to me. Maybe that’s my bad.
A couple other things that are more generally related to me and my blog and this fandom, not necessarily what you said:
- I am a person
- I make mistakes
- I can be a huge smartass and really snarky
- I am allowed to dislike things
- I am allowed to say that I dislike things
- Me disliking fictional things is not me disliking actual people
- Not liking a ship is not at all the same thing as being rude to people, and if people (not just you) don’t get that, I really don’t know what to say to you.
- Again, there is a difference between fictional people and real people. You will notice that the quotes you pulled out? Were never in direct response to someone, or conversation with someone.
- If you can find an actual example of me being needlessly rude or aggressive to a flesh and blood person, a human being, I will absolutely apologize. But I’m not going to apologize for not being afraid to say what I think in the shitshow that this fandom has become.
- If someone had sent me an ask that said “moriel can die in a fiery pit of unhealthy obsession and death and torment”, do you know what I would say? Ok then, buddy. Because that opinion? Is not about me personally.
- You can say you hate a thing that I love. I can say I hate a thing that you love. We can still be friends.
- Feel free to unfollow or even block people you don’t agree with or who make this fandom less fun than you want it to be. I have become much more liberal with my unfollowing and blocking of people, and let me tell you - it’s been great. You have to take care of yourself, here.
I have received approximately 110 asks since I finished reading ACOWAR just under two weeks ago. Do you know what this tells me? It tells me that people are not afraid to send me their thoughts and opinions, that they do not assume they will be treated with disrespect. Because they aren’t.
My final point about this and the other asks I received last night, is that this is the kind of crap that makes people frustrated. This is the kind of crap that makes people take hiatuses, and message me saying that they want to leave the fandom, and makes people afraid to say what they think. Which, what is the point of any of this, if we don’t feel like we can talk about this stuff without people getting needlessly offended or feeling like they can never say anything negative.
If me trying to be kind and respectful to people as much as possible while still occasionally failing in that regard puts me on a high horse, then I’m going to ride off into the motherfuckin’ sunset on that horse, and never look back. Because at least I’m trying.