Okay, so I realize that we've only seen snippets, characters are complex, developer intent changes, etc, etc. Buuuut....Canon pre-Reaper Reyes seems like a relatively chill dude? Like,THIS is the guy that was supposed to be the hardass "ends justify the means" and "stick to the mission at all costs" type? o_O Would love to know your take on this.
This is like 99.99% speculation and personal projecting, but I’m fond of the idea that Young Gabe was extremely hard working, gruff, bad with people, edgy on purpose, and young Jack was more chill, friendly, charismatic, motivational. So through the amount of time they spend together Jack helps pull Gabe out of his shell, muscles him into working on his social skills so he’s got less of a wall up. He’s got his own friends and life and he’s fun at parties, but he’s still a gruff, intimidating guy with super high standards so he can be tough to work with because he’s a hardass who’s better than everyone at everything.
Jack and Gabe have like a good cop
dynamic for the Omnic Crisis, Gabe is calling the shots but Jack is the approachable go-between that people aren’t afraid is going to bark at them for messing up. When the Omnic Crisis ends the powers that be are like “hey, Jack a good upstanding ‘’’’’’’All American’’’’’’’ guy, he photographs well, he looks good on posters, he’s good at making all our weird special snowflake superheroes get along and work together, he knows how to tactfully navigate conversations with important people without offending them, let’s put him in charge of Overwatch!”
Gabe is pissed because he did the heavy lifting and now he’s not getting the glory, Jack is pissed because he ALSO wants Gabe to get the glory. He doesn’t want to be in charge, he wants to be the Fun Uncle who helps the kids get along with Rules Dad. But now he IS Rules Dad. He can’t be The Fun One anymore because now everything he does matters and everyone in the world is waiting to pick apart every descision he makes and backseat drive all his mistakes. So Jack starts turning into the stressed hardass because he’s juggling so many plates and playing politics with everyone.
Meanwhile Gabe is realizing a lifetime of Trying The Hardest didn’t really matter, because it still didn’t get him the job he wanted. He’s kind of salty, but also realizing from what it’s doing to Jack that he probably dodged a bullet because he would not have the tact to deal with all the political niceties. So in his own sardonic way, he kind of turns into “the fun one” because he doesn’t have the spotlight on him and can be as sarcastic and back-sassy as he wants without worrying about what it could “do to his career”. He throws a lot of jabs about Jack getting all the glory, but at the same time he enjoys getting to chill for the first time in his life. He doesn’t want Jack’s job or resent Jack for having it now that he’s seen how all the chips fell, but there’s always going to be that little part of him that can’t stop picking that scab and bringing it up when Jack is stressed out or fucking up. Gabe probably thinks of it as pushing Jack to do better and live up to the standards he expected for Overwatch when he was in charge, but for Jack it’s more like rubbing salt in the wound.
Then when he gets Reaper’d he’s just a pissed off man-on-a-mission who doesn’t need to worry about playing nice with others and social nuance at all anymore, so it’s all Reyes dry humour plus his skill and ambition plus his lifelong dream of wearing The Most Over-The-Top Goth Kid Sleeveless Black Trenchcoat ensemble and throwing shotguns at people. Reaper is Gabriel Reyes coming back from the dead with no fucks to give and ALL OF THE fucks to give simultaneously.
Now I’m not gonna say “this is how I think Blizzard is going to make it happen when they actually drop the lore” because that would make me a goddamn clairvoyant to predict that much backstory. I’m just sayin’ that if I was on the writing staff that’s probably how I’d pitch their relationship dynamic because it meshes with a lot of the established lore bits they’ve already dropped like “Gabe was in charge of Overwatch for the Omnic Crisis”, “Jack got promoted ahead of Gabe because he ‘brought out the best in people”, “Jack and Gabe continued to work together reasonably well despite this for another 20 years until [mystery event] happened”, “Gabe is an edgelord who condescendingly slow claps at people and talks like a smarmy tryhard theatre kid”, and “Gabe is also fun at parties and says quippy things when everyone else is stressed out about serious political problems”
FIFTY THINGS BABY HARRY DEFINITELY GOT TO EXPERIENCE
1. falling asleep with his dad on the sofa
2. pulling on the cat’s tail and cackling madly
3. falling asleep in his mum’s arms
4. waking up with two parents cooing over him
5. being lulled by his dad’s voice–singing terribly, but he didn’t care
6. watching his mum and dad dance around the living room
7. and then his dad scooping him up off the floor and the three of them dancing around the living room
8. being sick and spending four solid days in his parents’ arms–them cooing and sushing and rubbing his back until he felt better
9. having as much cake as he wanted on his birthday
10. both his parents sneaking his biscuits when the other wasn’t looking
11. his dad talking to him as if he was already his best mate in the world
12. those amazing lights from his dad’s wand
13. his mum levitating him in the air for fun
14. memorizing his mum’s twenty kinds of laughs
15. falling asleep nestled in-between his parents on the sofa/in bed
16. sleeping snuggled with his toy broomstick in his cot b/c he couldn’t bear to let it go and his parents didn’t want to tell him no
17. the funny lady who came over and brought him biscuits
18. carving a pumpkin with his parents and smashing goo all over the floor
19. crying when the goo got in his eyes
20. laughing when his mum vanished it and chasing after the cat
21. trying to ride the cat
22. knowing if he cried his mum or dad would come make it right
23. playing peek-a-boo beneath his dad’s invisbility cloak
24. learning “sssshhhhh” when he and his mum were hiding underneath the cloak from dada
25. conspiratorial whispers/secrets
26. his mum blowing raspberries on his tummy/cheeks/feet/legs
27. grabbing his dad’s glasses and holding them victoriously in his chubby little hands as he promptly puts them in his mouth
28. and then his dad puts them on, slobbery and all, deliberately upside down to make him giggle
29. his dad telling he and his mum wizarding stories from the animated pop up book
30. his mum telling he and his dad muggle stories from the book with shiny edges
31. warm nights spent on the sofa by the fire eating popcorn (which wasn't always realized as a chocking hazard so he was probably given some)
32. little baby belches after tiny sips of butterbeer from uncle pafoo
33. being mesmerized by the golden snitch his mum charmed to float above his bed
34. chasing after the quaffle–that was bigger than him–around the living room floor while dada chased him on all fours
35. falling asleep snuggled next to the kiddy
36. sneaking out with his dad under the invisibility cloak–with silencing charms, of course–and taking walks around the neighborhood
37. lying out in the back garden–which had a tall fence around the perimeter–and digging in the dirt while his mum and dad worked in the garden
38. picnics on the grass in said garden
39. hearing he was loved and how special he was and how wonderful he was every day for the first year and three months of his life
40. learning his mum’s twenty kinds of kisses and hugs
41. playing quaffle with dada and uncles padfoot and remus and peter–in which he was the quaffle
42. playing with his dad’s mirror until uncle padfoot’s face showed up
43. almost choking on his mum’s wizarding chess set
44. a first christmas he didn’t even understand because he was so young, but the house was sparkly and he liked the lights and the music and he learned to crawl by trying to get over to the tree and pull the baubles off
45. knowing that his dad smelled like peppermint and his mum smelled like raspberries
46. hours spent in the kitchen while his mum brewed potions which smelled terrible but were full of interesting things to try and grab at
47. watching his dad work on the crossword in the mornings and playing peek-a-boo with the paper
48. eating toast in the mornings and getting jam hopelessly smeared in his face and cheeks and fingers and hair
49. hearing from his mum every day that he looked and acted just like his dada
50. hearing from his dad every day that he looked and acted just like his mummy
Hooray, I finally finished! This is based on @russianfeya‘s Neon Pink Motorcycle fic. It’s a soulmate AU where people have a mark that changes color depending on the soulmate’s mood. Yuri no longer has a mark (due to Reasons) and it just hit me in the most recent chapter that when Otabek asks “How are you feeling?” he’s actually…you know, comparing notes. :D Anyway, if that sounds like something you’d like to read, I highly recommend it!
Andrew and Aaron pretending to be eachother for @sirandking
Aaron stares blankly at the clothes that have been thrust into his chest, then up at his brother. “Why the fuck would I wear that? Not all of us have to dress like we’re stuck in our ‘rawr means I love you in dinosaur’ stage.”
Andrew’s perpetual smile twitches, his only sign of anger. “Just fucking wear it. I’m going to pick up the runner today instead of you.”
Aaron glares, but Andrew always wins any staring contest between the two of them. “Fine,” he bites out finally. “But don’t make this a habit, okay?”
“No promises,” Andrew says, and leaves Aaron to change in peace.”
“Take my German test for me.”
Andrew doesn’t look away from the TV and the re-run of some stupid sit-com playing on it. “Why?”
Aaron frowns. “You’re better than I am. All that practice with your boyfriend.” He spits the word out, hoping to garner a reaction, but Andrew doesn’t even blink.
Aaron grits his teeth, takes a breath. “Please.”
Andrew flicks a cool look in his direction. “What did you just say?”
“I said please.” The repetition keeps Andrew’s eyes on him, although his expression is more murderous than agreeable. “Andrew, I’m going to fail this class if I don’t do well on this test.”
“Why are you doing so badly? Skipping class to meet up with Katelyn?” Andrew, too, spits the word out.
Aaron says nothing.
Andrew turns his gaze back to the TV. “No.”
Frustrated, Aaron storms off.
The day of the test, his hoodie is missing. Aaron smiles to himself. He gets a B+ on the test, which is worse than Andrew could have gotten, but better than Aaron could have. He takes it.
Talking to Bee helps, supposedly. Aaron isn’t sure; sometimes when he looks at Andrew he still feels pointless anger simmering beneath his skin, a frustration he can never scratch out. But maybe it helps, because when Andrew shows up on the day the freshman are supposed to arrive with a matching outfit for Aaron, he takes it wordlessly.
It is, he admits, if only to himself, kind of fun to mess with people at his brother’s side.