Contest, Sweepstakes, and Giveaway Guidelines Last Modified: 2012-03-22
Contests, sweepstakes, or giveaways with prizes valued over USD $1,000 aren't allowed on Tumblr without our permission.
If you do choose to administer, promote, or run a contest, sweepstakes, or giveaway on Tumblr, follow these guidelines:
- Fully disclose all of the contest, sweepstakes, or giveaway's rules including, for example, eligibility restrictions, all entry methods, information about your prizes (including retail value), and odds of winning;
- Make sure to include in your rules a full release of Tumblr by each person participating, an acknowledgement that the contest, sweepstakes, or giveaway isn't associated with Tumblr (including, without limitation, that it isn't administered, sponsored, or endorsed by Tumblr), and a statement that each person participating is giving information to you and not to Tumblr;
- Only allow entry by individuals who are eighteen or older;
- Only direct and open your contest, sweepstakes, or giveaway to people who live in your country; and
- As per our community guideline against non-genuine social gesture schemes, don't use Tumblr's social features (like following, reblogging, and liking) as entry methods.
Communicating on Tumblr about a contest, sweepstakes, or giveaway that happens off-site is generally OK (but make sure to provide all the information you need to, as noted above).
Finally, keep in mind that you're always responsible for the legality of your contest, sweepstakes, or giveaway whether it happens on Tumblr or elsewhere, and lots of detailed state and federal laws apply (at least in the U.S.), so we urge you to take them seriously and ask a lawyer if you have questions or concerns.
Link to Prior Versions
You will find a link to prior versions of our Contest, Sweepstakes, and Giveaway Guidelines below. We have stored these versions on GitHub, which will also allow you to compare different versions and see what terms have changed: