Tumblr is where tens of millions of creative people around the world share and follow the things they love.Sign up to find more cool stuff to follow
Writing a letter
- me: No way! We get to write letters to Gerard?! YAY! I know what I'm going to say!
- me: but wait....what if he really reads this?!
- Me: hes going to think I'm a weirdo!!
- me: no...hes cool...all i have to do is just write!
- me: *later...fifty crumpled papers around me*...i have no idea what to fucking write,
I wish people still sent letters.
I can’t help but wonder how much is being lost via email. It’s incredibly convenient, don’t get me wrong, but some of the most insightful and beautiful things can be found in letters. Just look at John Keats and Fanny Brawne. Beethoven and his “Immortal Beloved.” Woodrow Wilson and his wife! Or all the soldiers during wartime who poured out their hearts on paper and revealed the true gritty nature of war. Or Freud and Jung, who bounced ideas back and forth via written correspondence that would shape early psychology. Even parts of the Bible are epistles! Letters have shaped such an enormous part of history. Somehow, I doubt that emails will do the same.