Conversation on the Bus Today
- Lady: I'm not saying all Muslims are terrorists. I'm just saying that the terrorists are Muslims; they have the same holy book, the same beliefs. The terrorists are just more open about about it.
- Me: So you've heard about Westboro Baptist Church right?
- Lady: Oh my yes, they're an awful group of people.
- Me: They're Christian.
- Lady: ...
- Me: I'm not saying all Christians are like the Westboro Baptist Church, but they have the same holy book, the same beliefs.
- Lady: ...
- Me: They're just a lot more open about it.
- Random Guy Next To Me: *High fives*
“In December, [Megan Phelps-Roper, formerly one of the Westboro Baptist Church's most vocal members] went to a public library in Lawrence, Kansas. She was looking through books on philosophy and religion, and it struck her that people had devoted their entire lives to studying these questions of how to live and what is right and wrong. 'The idea that only [Westboro Baptist Church] had the right answer seemed crazy,' she says. 'It just seemed impossible.'" ”—
Metafilter member “the man of twists and turns” said: I’m going to stick this quote into every discussion of why libraries are important.
I say: Amen to that.