I’ve discovered that I love to cook and I’m actually pretty good at it. I am excited to indulge a passion I never knew I had.
I have amazing people surrounding me. They are my smiles, my laughter, my sanity and everything else important. I rarely say this, but when it comes to friends and family - I am blessed.
I was invited to a retirement party for a nurse with whom I used to work. I am literally the ONLY non-management, non-clinical person invited. This will be an interesting experience/opportunity, but either way, I’m pretty excited that I made this fairly exclusive list.
Tumblr Happy Hour randomisms
- 2 different mothers came up to me this week saying that they are happy that my kid is friends with their kid. One girl is SUPER shy and the other boy has a mild case of Ashberger’s and keeps to himself. The moms both said the same thing, “You can’t not be friends with Sonja.” She goes and gets them and brings them into the group or even just goes and hangs out with them. I am more proud of this than anything ever.
- I’ve stopped the crazy weight gain and lost 2 pounds. I am going to the gym again.
- Today was the best day in a really long time.
- I am excited about seeing friends this weekend at a party. I am actually excited. I am not even making that up.
- My sister’s foster kids are the most delicious sweet little kids ever. They will be with her at least a year.
- I will work on more happy for tomorrow.
Life is shitty at times and everyone is going through it dealing with their own issues as best as they can. But that’s life. It’s problematic at best. And when you sit down and think (not too much, haha) and take it for what it is, you inevitably come to one, long-standing, comforting conclusion.
Everything’s going to be alright.
Tumblr Happy Hour
A kid I help with English had to write a speech about anything to do with “reading”.
She chose to write about ereaders vs books and what she wrote made my heart completely melt because she is an adorable little luddite like me. The speech itself made me proud, really good solid argument and great use of rhetoric. It was totally engaging.
And then she got into the top ten and has to give the speech at an event next week.
For a kid who was put in remedial English reading groups (incorrectly) and who has had speech therapy for a mild lisp… this is awesome and it has given me so much happy this week.
1. My (totally awesome, feel-like-family) neighbors have friends over on their new patio, which is across the driveway from but a story below the poop deck. So of course we’re constructing horrifying scenarios: “Let’s do it standing up! And make lots of noise!” (Dan was all over that option.) “Let’s smoke a bunch of cigars!” “Let’s blast country music!” “Let’s poop off the side!”
2. I love my therapist. We make each other laugh. He’s on my side and I cannot tell you how much that means. Except I just did. “Low grade depression” + anxiety (neither dx was surprising) means maybe it’s time to pursue meds. He’s not pushing—another reason I love him. I am giving it some thought. I like my libido and I am drowsy enough every goddamn day. No advice, thanks. I’ll sort it out.
3. It’s gorgeous outside. I love that he’s home.
4. I’m looking forward to the next two weekends. MITU (Saturday only) + our anniversary getaway in Cali, which includes HUGGING THE INTERNET and lots of champagne-augmented anniverserial fucking.
5. I’ve resigned myself to maybe not hitting my birthday weight loss goal (199 by 10/25). But slower doesn’t mean “won’t get there.” I am one determined motherfucker who is learning not to be such a perfectionist douchebag.
Tired, but happy hour.
I am house/cat-sitting for the next week in a beautiful house with an even more beautiful view. It’s clean, quiet, and I’m making extra money. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale tastes delectable in a can while you’re watering someone else’s plants outside in hot weather. I think I might get Chinese food delivered because my favorite place is right down the street. My boyfriend is buying me a massage this weekend because my back starting hurting yesterday. Also because he’s the best. Mine. This Sunday marks 1 year from the first time we met in person. It’s crazy sometimes that I remember I found love on twitter. Dick jokes and double entendres. Whodathunk it.