Hey fellow Homestuck troll cosplayers!
I know a lot of people make troll grey paint by mixing grey and white ben nye, but I am here to inform you that there is an easier alternative if you don’t feel like messing with that! O:
Use what I use!
I use Ben Nye Creme Foundation in Cadaver Grey! Not creme liners or color cake foundation. CREME. FOUNDATION. In my opinion it’s the perfect shade of troll grey!
I’ve worn it to two cons and it looks identical to the grey/white mixture that my friends wore!
I bought it here!
One thing lasted me quite a few face/neck/arm applications! I’m tiny but it should still last you at least a full con! O:
Anywho, just throwing that out there for you, since it doesn’t seem to be a thing a lot of people know about!
Also remember to use setting powder and sealer spray FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE.
idk how to end this post
Making Eridan's face-fins
To start, I’ll say, as a novice at prosthetics, my approach was needlessly complicated and a bit wasteful, but it yielded a product I could use, so I suppose that counts for something. Here is a streamlined account of how I made the fins:
- using plaster strips, I made a cast of my lower jaw
- I poured wet plaster into the cast, let it set
- using oil-based modeling clay I sculpted fins onto the plaster replica of my lower jaw (covered in foil to keep the clay from sticking)
- using silicone, I made a cast of the fin as it was on the plaster face
- I painted liquid latex and bits of tissue (for structural support) into the silicone mold, about seven layers worth
- after peeling the finished latex fin from the mold, I trimmed it up and painted it grey with three layers my own blend of PAX, the same blend I use for my ears, neck and hands (being careful to set with neutral powder between each layer).
This tutorial should help give a better idea overall of what process I was going for… but really, there was a lot of this I could have skipped, I just had no idea what I was doing. I hope my trial and error helps someone do it better!
As always, if there are more questions, drop me an ask!
EDIT: I had a good question about application. As for applying the fins, both PAX and spirit gum have given me trouble, but so far the most successful method has been:
- coat the backs of the fins in spirit gum
- place them as desired
- peel them back up immediately and let the gum get tacky (about 30 seconds)
- place the fins neatly back in place on the cheeks, and press firmly
Much the same way one would use rubber cement or other contact cement, I suppose!