In Summary - February 2013
In 2013, I’m doing a monthly “In Summary” post, inspired by the Document Your Life project on Youtube. Obviously, the only other one I have so far is for January, and you can find that here if you want to see it.
So the greatest thing that happened this month was my trip to Virginia to visit Vincient. It was…incredible. We went on a hike and walked around his town and so many things and it was one of the best times of my life. I have a huge masterpost which you can read if you so desire, but here are two of the best pictures.
Book reviews! I didn’t read nearly as much as I would have liked to, but I’ll make up for it somehow. Summaries can be found if you click through the title.
- The Night Circus - This was easily one of the most beautifully written books I have ever read. The descriptions were so vivid and almost palpable, at times. The little excerpts when it was in second person really made me feel like I was at the circus. My favorite thing about the book, though, was the fact that it was nonlinear. It would skip from 1896 to 1902 and then back, from setting to setting, from character arc to character arc. It was just incredible.
- Cat’s Cradle - I really did enjoy this, but it wasn’t anything super crazy special to me. The whole message it sends about religion is very fascinating. But, in terms of actually reading, it wasn’t too slow or fast. I liked it enough to want to look into more of Vonnegut’s work.
- Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy - I started this book, and have not yet finished it, but I don’t like it very much. It’s a cool, quirky, science fiction book, but it’s almost plotless. I do enjoy really strange books, but this isn’t really working for me right now.
Some other things that happened are…
- Reaching 400 subscribers!!
- A bunch of my favorite Youtubers subscribed to me (VegUntold, neondreamscollide, LaraineBrotista, JonPazVideos)
- I officially made it onto Tech crew, learned to use a jig, pneumatic, and circular saw, and learned that I’ll probably be STD in my senior year!!!
- I started making a lot of quadrant drawings, like this. They’ve gotten much better since that one, though.
- I made a video inspired by Michael Aranda’s Fiesta Beat, which took me a good 3-4 hours to edit.
- I became a lot closer with Megan and Marina and Jeffrey and other Youtube friends and that makes me happy.
- I wrote 6 poems and 1 prose poetry thing.
This has been a good month. Usually I
despise am not a fan of February (bitter cold, valentine’s day, why so few days?) but this year, has actually been alright.
And, I know my goals have really impacted my perspective.
1. Cut out modified corn syrup- to be honest, this has been my goal for over a year, and progress is going well. But that corn syrup is one sneaky b*tch, sneaking its way into anything processed.
2. No more soda- the more I read, the more convinced I am that pop drinks are the cigarette’s of my generation. True, I still had a few. But, I don’t crave sweet drinks anymore, and that is a big improvement.
3. Run once everyday durning Lent- no, I’m not a fool, I wot be making super long runs everyday, but something to boost cardio. I haven’t maintained a perfect record (snow makes even my sneakers want to stay under the covers in a warm bed), but I have changed my normal routine. I hope that running frequently becomes my norm.
4. My next area of progress is getting enough sleep each night. I thought university was the cause of my abnormal sleep patterns, but after graduating, I have to admit that is the internet and my lack of will power. Oh, to be so rested that I can wake without an alarm clock.
Any suggestions for goals and areas of improvement for March?