“She was terrific to hold hands with. Most girls if you hold hands with them, their goddam hand dies on you, or else they think they have to keep moving their hand all the time, as if they were afraid they’d bore you or something. Jane was different. We’d get into a goddam movie or something, and right away we’d start holding hands, and we wouldn’t quit till the movie was over. And without changing the position or making a deal out of it. You never even worried, with Jane, whether your hand was sweaty or not. All you knew was, you were happy. You really were.”—J. D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye
“That's the thing about girls. Every time they do something pretty, even if they're not much to look at, or even if they're sort of stupid, you fall half in love with them, and then you never know where the hell you are. Girls. Jesus Christ. They can drive you crazy. They really can.”—J. D. Sallinger - The Catcher in the Rye
- Hazel Grace Lancaster: You gave me a forever within the numbered days and I'm grateful
- Augustus Waters: It would be a privilege to have my heart broken by you.
- Peter Van Houten: Pain is like fabric. The stronger it is, the more it's worth.
- Charlie: Because things change. And friends leave. And life doesn't stop for anybody.
- Bill: We accept the love we think we deserve.
- Katniss Everdeen: You don't forget the face of the person who was your last hope.
- Peeta Mellark: My nightmares are usually about losing you. I'm okay once I realize you're here.
- Finnick Odair: It takes ten times as long to put yourself back together as it does to fall apart.
- Holden Caulfield: Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.
- Four: Sometimes, people just want to be happy, even if it's not real.
- Tris Prior: We both have war inside us. Sometimes it keeps us alive. Sometimes it threatens to destroy us.
- Clay Jensen: I'm listening to someone give up. Someone I knew -- someone I liked. I'm listening but still, I'm too late.
- Hannah Baker: And when you mess with one part of a person's life, you're not messing with just that part. When you mess with one part of a person's life, you're messing with their entire life.