1910-1920 :: Swiss Chard with Bacon
- Swiss Chard
- Hardboiled eggs
- Hot Water
- Wash and pick over Swiss Chard.
- Cook in boiling salted water, using just enough water to prevent Chard from burning.
- Drain and chop fine. Arrange in a mound on a chop platter, surround (crown fashion) with “hard-boiled” eggs cut in halves lengthwise, having cut side out.
- Cut a slice off the large end of each egg so that they will stay in place.
- Cut five slices of bacon in narrow strips crosswise. Try out one-third cup.
- Add one-fourth cup vinegar, diluted with one-fourth cup hot water, pour while hot over the Swiss Chard, scattering the scraps of bacon over top of mound.