Follow posts tagged #statistics, #stats, and #math in seconds.Sign up
“...women are more likely than men to be murdered by a member of the other sex and by a spouse. MacKinnon (1987) reports that “four out of five murdered women are killed by men; between one third and one half [of murdered women] are married to their murderers. When you add boyfriends and former spouses, the figures rise.”—
Dee Graham, Edna Rawlings & Roberta Rigsby. Loving to Survive: sexual terror, men’s violence, and women’s lives. NYU Press. July 1 1994. (p. 7)
In understanding that violence against women is not a humorous matter, here are some statistics:Domestic Violence
Domestic Violence-Related Homicide
- 41 – 61% of Asian women report experiencing physical and/or sexual violence by an intimate partner during their lifetime.1 This is higher than the rates in a national study reported by Whites (21.3%), African Americans (26.3%), Hispanics of any race (21.2%), people of mixed race (27.0%), and American Indians and Alaskan Natives (30.7%), and Asians and Pacific Islanders (12.8%).2
- In a six-year period, 160 cases in Asian families resulted in 226 fatalities, of which 72% were adult homicide victims, 10% were child homicide victims, and 18% were suicide deaths.
- 68% of victims were intimate partners (current, estranged, or ex-partners), of which 111 were women and 14 were men.
- 83% of homicide perpetrators were men, 14% were women, 3% unknown.
- Children were the second largest group of victims, and the parents of wives and girlfriends were the third largest group.
- 56% of Filipinas and 64% of Indian and Pakistani women had experienced sexual violence by an intimate in a study interviewing 143 women.
- 68% of Filipinas and 50% of Indian and Pakistani women reported being stalked by an intimate partner.
- 5,200 – 7,800 Asians and Pacific Islanders comprise the largest group of people trafficked into the U.S., out of an estimated total of 14,500-17,500 individuals trafficked in 2004.
Children’s Exposure to Family Violence
- 70% of Cambodians, 61% of Chinese, 80% of Koreans, 79% of South Asians, and 72% of Vietnamese men and women reported being hit regularly as children.
- 28% of Cambodians, 18% of Chinese, 30% of Koreans, 8% of South Asians, and 27% of Vietnamese witnessed their fathers regularly hit their mothers.
every time you make a rape joke there is a 1/3 chance that the woman you’re talking to has been raped, a 1/5 chance the man you are talking to has been raped, and a (roughly estimated by a small study) 1/3.5 chance the trans* person you’re talking to has been raped.
Odds are, they’re not going to find it funny.
Everything You've Ever Wanted To Know About the 2nd Generation
Children of immigrants are more likely to have graduated from college than the general population.
Is one or both of your parents an immigrant to the U.S.? Then you’re one of 20 million second generation U.S.-born Americans.
That means, statistically speaking, that you make more money and are more educated than your parents were at your age, you lean left politically, and you’re accepting of homosexuality and supportive of interracial marriage (according to a recent study by Pew.)