Follow posts tagged #sketchwork in seconds.Sign up
doing the idea shuffle
creative writing came up as a topic with three of four people I talked to today, even if briefly, so I’m going to spin out some prompts and maybe some of you will want to take advantage of them and develop it into material. I know, for me, I’ve always loved and am more creatively inspired by the less restrictive and more unusual kind of thoughtstarters; here are some for you.
- “you have only ten words.” (this is the prompt, not a format requirement)
- write a story that takes place entirely in the span of one minute
- write from the perspective of an inanimate object
- here’s one my creative writing teacher gave our class once: “put a man up a tree, throw stones at him, and get him down.”
- include a box of matches, a lost wallet, and a guitar case in your story.
- use their, they’re, and there all in the first sentence.
- the story is styled as a postcard being either written by the sender or read by the recipient
okay yes those are all the random thoughts wandering around in the back of my mind, I will come back to these later.
if anyone uses any of these, please let me read what you write! I’d love to see how you work the prompt (: