Tumblr is where tens of millions of creative people around the world share and follow the things they love.Sign up to find more cool stuff to follow
how can i make a gif so much quality? please you are so nice and you are the queen of photoshop.
ok. i don’t think my gifs are that good but they’re pretty decent. i promise i will tell you everything i do when i make gifs, i won’t miss any step. i usually wonder what would a person who makes good gifs say if i asked her/him how to make my gifs look better. some people are too selfish to answer your message or tell you everything they do. so yeah im not that kind of person.
start by downloading a HQ video, i use savevid. then i use kmplayer to create the frames of the gif i want to make. learn how to make gifs using kmplayer here, in my opinion this is the best way to make gifs, but you can also make them this way. ok now that you’re done with this, and already have your gif, i will tell you what do i do to make it look better.
I start by using Topaz Clean, if you already have topaz just download this default settings i made (x), go to filter > open topaz clean and click on “import”, select the file and import it. click save and u will notice that the first frame of you gif looks better. to do the same effect on all the frames of you gif just select every frame/layer one by one and click ctrl+f.
If you don’t have topaz its okay, sometimes i rather to use surface blur (filter>blur>surface blur). i don’t have any setting saved but you can mess around with those levels by urself. (threshold must be lower than the radius).
When you’re done with topaz’ing or blur’ing (lol) all the frames, you gotta sharpen them. I only sharpen my gifs this way: filter>sharpen>unsharp mask. I set the amount to 127 or more and the radius to 0,3 if the gif is HQ, or amount 400-500, radius 0,2 if the gif isn’t that HQ. Repeat on every frame using ctrl+f.
now its time to save the gif (file > save for web and devices). my favorite settings combinations are:
- selective > diffusion > transparency & interlaced checked > colors 200-256 (lower if the gif is b&w or colorized) & sometimes i like to low the dither level to 99% (when the gif is too big).
- adaptive > pattern > transparency & interlaced checked > colors 200-256…. etc.
it depends on the psd you use, some psds make the gif look good on photoshop but it turns out to be shitty when saving and you gotta use the adaptive/pattern one because the other one adds a lot of noise to the gif. save, post.
…And you’re done! :) i hope this was helpful lol
Sharpen Gifs - Photoshop Action+Tutorial
Thanks to Roxy for helping me test this action :)
The download link is after the cut. READ THE TUTORIAL BEFORE USING THE ACTION!
And I’ll update this post with a portuguese version tomorrow.
I know a lot of people (including myself) have problems sharpening gifs, because photoshop doesn’t allow to sharpen all layers at once… or at least I never found a solution. This PS Action isn’t perfect and doesn’t work just by pressing the play button, but it saves a lot of time as soon as you learn how to use it.
Here’s a gif of every step of the tutorial:
Here’s the tutorial:
So, after downloading and loading this action to photoshop, you’ll have something like this on the Actions Panel (default shortcut: Alt+F9):
My Action is called “Sharpen Gif Action”.
Import your video frames to layers. My Layers Panel looks like this:
As you can see I have 8 layers (which means I have 8 frames) and a group called “coloring”. Don’t pay attention to that group, it’s there because I prefer coloring before sharpening my gifs.
For this action to work you need to create a new group:
And place it between the “coloring” group and your layers like this:
Or if you don’t have a “coloring” group, move it on top of all the other layers.
Select all the layers of your gif (here I’ll select the 8 layers) and move them inside the “Group 1”, like this:
Now select the first frame and the first layer (or the visible/matching layer for that frame) like this:
First frame is selected, and the visible/matching layer of that frame is “Layer 5”.
Now there are a few thing you need to know before playing the action:
- The way I made this action was: Repeat the sharpening process 25 times (the action can only sharpen 25 layers) until it finds a layer that can’t be sharpened, in this case the “Group 1” group layer, or when there are more than 25 layers to sharpen.
- The Group Layer can NOT have a mask, otherwise photoshop will assume the group as a normal layer (or something like that) and the action will repeat again and again until sharpening 25 layers.
- Also make sure that inside the “Group 1” you only have the layers of your gif, like I showed before. Make adjustment layers later, after sharpening everything.
- If your gif has more than 25 layers/frames, you need play the action again without doing anything! You just need to remember the settings of the first sharpening, so it matches the next layers.
To play the action go to the Action Panel again. Select “Sharpen Gif Action” and click the play button:
A message will pop up, click “Continue”. Then a “Smart Sharpen” window will appear:
(I’m sorry if you don’t use “smart sharpen” to sharpen your gifs, but this is how I do it :/)
These numbers are random, so play around with it and see what looks best with your gif. Click “OK” when you’re done adjusting the settings.
After sharpening all the layers, the action will reach the group layer. And as you read before it will stop there because the group can’t be sharpened (once again, remember that the group can’t have a mask).
Finally, this message pops up:
Click “Stop” and you’re done! Your gif is sharpened! :)
TIP: To avoid problems, sharpen your gif as soon as you import your video frames to layers.
I know that this may take some time to learn, probably as much time as it took me to figure out how to stop the action. But if you are used to sharpen your gifs layer by layer, learn how to do this and I assure you that you’ll save a lot of time ;)
And as I said at the beginning, this Action isn’t perfect but is useful to me and I thought I’d share it with you.
Tutorial: How to Extra Sharpen (without noise)
I thought it is helpful, so let’s start. :)
100 FRAMES GIF SHARPEN ACTION
GIF SHARPEN ACTION
It sharpens your gif automatically, It can sharpen up to 100 frames.
Now, if something like this pops out:
don’t worry, it won’t affect anything, just click stop and you’re done.
HOW TO USE:
1) Make Your Gif
2) Then Click the highlighted thing in the picture (the one with a triangle pointing down and lines beside it)
3) Click “Flatten Frames into Layers”
4) Make sure the First Frame and “Frame 1” (in the layers) are selected
5) Click the “Play Selection” button in the action and you’re done!
note: it would be better if you sharpen it twice, just redo all the steps.
If you don’t know how to load an action:
In your action box,
1) click the highlighted thing
2) Click “Load Actions”
3) Find the folder where you saved your action
4) Click the file and click Load and you’re done!
DOWNLOAD HERE (MF)
please like this post if you download it.