Follow posts tagged #roasted beets in seconds.Sign up
Roasted Beet & Turnip Salad
I used to despise beets, but somewhere along the way I learned to love them! Especially roasted!
“Roasted Beets & Turnips Over Beet Greens”
I substituted the Balsamic Vinegar with Orange Muscat Vinegar in the salad dressing. I also sprinkled some fresh orange zest over the roasted veggies & salad before serving.
Roasted Beets - YUMMM!!!!
Written by Sickle Cell Warrior on 11 April 2011
As you are well aware, Beets are one of the foods rich in thiocyanate, a protein that helps prevents cells from clumping together. Beets aren’t my favorite thing to eat, but this recipe has me going back for seconds.
Canola oil spray
4 medium beets, scrubbed and trimmed of stems and roots
1/2 Tbsp. minced shallot or mild onion
1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
1 Tbsp. fresh orange juice
1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 head Bibb or butterhead lettuce, leaves separated, washed and dried
- Fat: 3.6g
- Carbohydrates: 8.9g
- Calories: 69.2g
- Protein: 1.4g
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly coat with oil spray four squares of foil large enough to wrap beets. Place each beet on a foil square. Pinch together and seal foil edges to form a pocket. Keeping them spaced apart, stand beets on a wire rack set inside a rimmed baking pan.
2. Bake until tender when pierced with fork, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
3. Peel back foil to expose beets and let stand until beets are cool enough to handle but still warm. Remove skins. (To avoid stained hands, use disposable gloves while slipping off the skin with a paring knife.) Cut beets into thin wedges.
4. In small bowl, make dressing by whisking together shallot, olive oil, juices and mustard until well combined. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Arrange lettuce leaves on a serving plate. Arrange beets on top in pinwheel fashion. (If desired, beets can first be re-heated in microwave oven.) Drizzle dressing over beets and lettuce.
Makes 4 servings.