characterization meme: Eridan
Here is my terrible secret, tumblr: Eridan Ampora is my favorite. I don’t know how this happened.
- Eridan’s an utter disaster of a person. He does not modulate. He is the hero of his own story, and the protagonist of his own tragedy. Everything that happens, anywhere, to anyone, is actually about Eridan Ampora, in Eridan’s head.
- Despite this: he would die for Feferi Peixes.
- He wishes she’d asked him to do something easy, like die for her, instead of something hard, like not be hers.
- He likes order and structure more than is good for him.
- The HOPESPLODE episode was a vicious, childish, if I can’t be happy then no one else should be happy moment of six-sweeps-old misery.
- Eridan’s an amateur historian; he’s proud of his people and of his history, and he’s actually pretty good at strategy and tactics on a macro-scale.
- Even so, he has never adequately considered the consequences of his own actions.
- I ship him pale with Kanaya. They have a common understanding of being the wrong person in the right place.
- I ship him in almost every quadrant, but especially flush and ash, with Karkat; they have a common understanding of hopeless devotion.
- Jesus fucking Christ, this kid is femme. Not genderqueer or any human sort of gender-thing, just enormously conscious of presentation and glamour. See under the capes. And the tacky, tacky pants. And the fact that he’d wear the March Eridan outfit. And heels. (And that I spent about an hour last night in chat with Taz imagining him in really amazingly awful wedding dresses which he would wear with grace and aplomb.)
- Something went hideously, terribly wrong for him in the Land of Wrath and Angels, and he doesn’t know that it did, let alone what it was.
- He could have grown up into something beautiful. He didn’t.
characterization meme: Dave
You should totes McGotes do Dave!
Oh yes. Yes I should. Considering.
- Dave Strider is creatively prepared for disaster. This is because he has spent his entire childhood being made ready.
- Dave is not traumatized by said childhood. If asked directly, he’d — okay, he’d obfuscate, because Dave does not like being asked directly about his feelings on anything. But if forced to answer directly, he’d be proud.
- The worst thing that has ever happened to him was Bro’s death; it will continue to be the worst thing, for the rest of his life. It’s a fulcrum around which he is going to bend.
- Dave is disgustingly clever and he actually isn’t nearly as aware of it as he could be. But that boy can run rings around almost anyone.
- Except for Rose Lalonde.
- And Terezi Pyrope.
- (We’re leaving out Sollux Captor because this is not a characterization post about pT’s fic) (really) (I swear)
- Dave understands self-sacrifice as instinctual. He’s a Knight. Isn’t that what he’s for?
- More than any of the other beta kids, Dave would have been alright in a world where SBURB never happened, despite being the most prepared of all of them to deal with a world in which it did.
- Terezi Pyrope makes him nervous and uncomfortable and fixated. She is like the downstroke of a katana. He can’t look away.
- Despite this: the most important person in Dave Strider’s universe, any universe, is Rose Lalonde. (I repeat: not necessarily romantic. Just true.)
I'm really fucking tired of Lydia being a victim. And I don't care what magical super "oh she has agency" shit they try to pull. They won't. She was a victim and abused all last season and it was okay because peter was "sassy" and this season its shaping up to be the same damn thing.
Look, I suck at meta, and I am, admittedly, not very smart about things unless I’ve had some time to think about them. Quickfire anything is not my style unless it’s a projectile weapon of some kind.
THAT BEING SAID, I have expressed over and over again that I am in favour of Lydia/any agency, any at all.
It says a lot to me that Lydia’s genius was Holland Roden’s idea, because what that tells me is that Davis and co wrote a character whose traits were ‘shallow narcissistic girlfriend’ and left it at that.
I have no faith in the writers to create any storyline where she isn’t a victim because she’s already their victim, in the sense that they never seem to have intended for her to have any agency in the first place.
I love and enjoy Teen Wolf, but I am not blind to its faults, and the way they’ve handled Lydia’s arc is one of the things about it that bothers me most.
I understand getting upset about Lydia being nothing more than the victim like in the previous seasons, but in this promo, we really don't know why she's screaming. Someone could have just been murdered in front of her. All honesty, I would act the same way if something like that happened in front of me. But these teaser doesn't give enough information to make a judgement like that. I know that this opinion will make people mad, male agency and all that; but I don't read it the same way, is all.
Anon, I’m going to spout a platitude at you and call it a day, because it’s midnight and I have to be up early.
Once burned, twice shy.
Two entire seasons lacking in agency for Lydia in particular do not fill me with faith.
In regards to the promo in particular, I’d encourage you to take in the fact that a male voice is narrating about horrible things happening to a woman, and the static return shot is breasts, not her face.
Is it possible for the show to improve in their treatment of Lydia? Sure! Will they manage it this season? I don’t know! Does this promo indicate that they give a shit about this? Not to me.
P.S. I would scream if someone got killed in front of me. In fact, I already have. The screaming is not what I am angry about.
blindeyeswatch replied to your photo: I just… wanted to make an EEn’E print really bad,…
WOW YUOR FUCKING EXPRESSIONS NOOO
characterization meme: Feferi
thelastdogfighter replied to your post: meme: characterization notes
Yes, good, more seadwellers, my favorite
- Feferi Peixes is an autocrat. She’s just an autocrat who believes in merit-based advancement rather than caste-based advancement.
- She is also, to her detriment if she ever became Empress of Alternia, fundamentally kind. The rulership trick — the one where you can destroy someone valuable and valued because that is the necessary cost of preserving the larger picture — is never going to be easy for her, if she can even learn to do it at all.
- Nevertheless, Feferi is very good at making use of people, and even better at making them want to be used.
- She is not happy about this.
- She loves her giant horrorterror lusus; she is familiar with the monstrous. It is her constant companion. It is cheerful and mundane.
- I ship Feferi/Sollux when there is the constant undercurrent of the possibility of Condesce/Psiioniic.
- There are times when she misses having Eridan as a moirail. But only when he’s not around, and only very briefly, the way you miss a coat you used to have and which doesn’t fit your current wardrobe.
- She is capable of resurrection. She will not find this momentous, or even out of the ordinary. It is her birthright. She is a king, and that is what kings do.
goinggh0st replied to your post: goinggh0st replied to your post: i fell asleep on…
goinggh0st replied to your post: goinggh0st replied to your post: i fell asleep on…
double unc0uth. that hardly pacified the situation.
you know you enjoy the attention.
flywithturtles said: Sleepy Hollow and Almost Human are two of the shows I’m really looking forwards to, and I’m already prepared for cancelation after episode 5. …I’ve seen Fox shows before.
Ugh, Almost Human. I cannot stand how excited I am for that show, even though I know it’s going to end in regulation disappoinment. If it lasts past the fourth episode, I’m going to be really surprised.
crossedwires said: already shipping nicole beharie/john cho (or their characters, anyway). i don’t even know cho’s character’s name. and i don’t care. :D
I am with you! Also, I would like it if John Cho and Orlando Jones’s characters just snark endlessly at each other because that is my favorite thing in any show involving cops. :D
queenofattolia replied to your post: queenofattolia replied to your post: mswyrr said:…
Oh, I was thinking more along the lines of certain racial groups’ relationships with intellectualism, but that is an excellent point!
you mean like, how some groups are demonized as being inherently less intelligent (and ergo less valuable?) yeah.
candykon replied to your post: why did i wear this shirt to a class where i have…
to challenge yourself
“What is this? I’ve practically slept the day away!
“GAAAAH I’M GETTING AS BAD AS KYOYA! MUN! WHY DIDN’T YOU WAKE ME?!!!”
“The thing you and Yuki don’t realize is that when you’re asleep, I’m asleep too.”
“BUT THAT’S NO EXCUSE!!! My beauty rest is ruined if I sleep too late~
“I can see that, Tamaki.”
“Well, never mind. I’m going to go take a shower,
“I’ll feel better once I’m out.”
“Tamaki!! Not on tumblr! Keep your clothes on until you’re in the bathroom.”