The patriarchy told me that a woman with a piece of fruit caused the downfall of humanity.
(submitted by staring-with-their-eyes)
okay this “thing” on tumblr about bashing atheists is annoying as fuck for many reasons
1. I’m atheist and a queer woc so generalizing all atheists as cis white men is annoying as fuck because not every atheist is a cis white man and atheism is not a cis white man thing.
2. Atheism is a VERY VALID AS FUCK ideology. I wasn’t born atheist, I became one because it makes EVERY FUCKING SENSE IN THE FUCKING WORLD. it makes absolute fucking sense infact.
3. Islamophobia in America is not caused by atheists. It’s christians who run fox news, and it’s christians who run the fucking country, and all U.S presidents have been Christians. Islamophobia, xenophobia and anti-immigrant sentiments in the United States and Europe PRE-DATES the atheist movement.
4. Atheists thinking religious people are stupid or w/e is not as bad as religious people thinking atheists are immoral and worthy of discrimination and sometimes even persecution. There is no history of atheists persecuting people based on their stupid religion (white cis men persecuting people is a whole other matter, and white cis men are not the fucking face of atheism, atheism is a MIND thing). And yes, religion is fucking stupid. I don’t tolerate islamophobia or any other type of discrimination but religion is stupid, and causes problems, leave me alone.
5. Religious people hate you generalizing about them but have no fucking problems generalizing the fuck out of the atheist movement.Like do you think it’s just two people who are atheist? it’ fucking MILLIONS AND MILLIONS of very diverse people from different parts of the world, and they are not all the same.
6. I love people on a people to people basis not a group basis (expect woc lol) so i am friends with a lot of people who are hindu or muslim (and some buddhist) and i try to not generalize about people, but i have read the bible, the qur’an and the bhagavad gita there is no difference between all of that and greek, mayan, and ancient african religious beliefs, and all of those are discounted by research.
7. Also science is fucking awesome. It just is. When people say i don’t trust science, you sound mad stupid, because science predates the human race, it sucks that white men monopolized it for a while, but science, like atheism, is not a cis white man thing, it is an everyone thing that everyone must come to terms to and understand for a better world. Like if even 90% of scientific researchers were poc the world would have been a better place cause all this white men are greedy and don’t share their research without you giving them millions of dollars sometimes.
8. Anyway, I’m atheist, a queer woc, and atheism is awesome as fuck and i would never have it any other way. In fact when i converted i felt a burden lift off my chest. I’m not agnostic, i’m not spiritual, i’m gnostic atheist to the fucking core. I love religious people who are nice and respectful and believe in peaceful coexistence and mutual respect, but i hate religion itself and religious books and religious intermingling with culture etc and theocracies and using religion as a tool of social, political or economical domination.
9. Religion is not the worst thing or the only thing that is wrong with the world, but if you believe religion does not on some level contribute to antagonism between different people, you are fucking delusional.
God bless everyone, leave atheists alone. Islamophobia in America or Europe is a christian thing not an atheist thing. In fact, i think Atheists are more understanding of different religions and cultures than white christians (remember, white men are not the face of atheism, and even then not all white male atheists are trolls, some of them have gone through some really shitty things with their religious parents as i have myself. Atheist persecution is a very real thing and it happens a lot in a christian dominated society as does islamophobia).
What is Peace?
Peace is not an experience. It is a lack of confusion regarding what you are experiencing. In that clarity, there is contentment and the joy of liberation from the suffering of confusion.
The human experience is filled with moments of positivity and beauty interchanging with moments of negativity and pain. This human experience is characterized by the body, its associated physical senses and sensations, along with the mind’s thoughts and moods.
When some embark on the journey to discover peace, they search for it in the world of human experience. The hope is that the experience of this body can be made permanently happy and positive, forever forsaking the negative.
Such a perspective is dependent upon your experience being a certain way; and since experiences themselves are transient, so is the happiness and pleasure they bring.
You are not your experiences and the conviction of this truth born of direct perception will take the pressure off avoiding negative experiences and clinging to positive ones. You become less fixated on your experiences, enjoying what comes and no longer lamenting letting go of what goes.
But where does peace fit in? Peace is not an experience but the way you regard experiences. It is not a thought or a mindset but rather the place of eternal awareness from which you live.
By the place, I mean your Self. When you no longer mistake yourself to be your body or mind, where does that leave you? It is the opportunity to become aware of your own existence without the context of human form.
In that clear awareness, you are at ease and at peace. Or rather, you recognize yourself as ease and peace itself. There are endless ways to release our confusion in order to re-discover clarity, and I like to recommend meditation and self-enquiry.
We are a lot less like individual beings and more like a spaceless and timeless dimension that is endlessly conscious of itself.
Trippy but true. :P