Floatzilla 2011 is the Quad Cities 2nd Annual paddle sports festival that culminates with a Guinness World Record attempt at the largest flotilla of kayaks and canoes on the protected backwaters of Lake Potter.
In addition to the world record attempt [at 2 p.m. at Lake Potter], the festival will include guided floats [launches start at 9 a.m.] on the Quad Cities Water Trails and a Try-Before-You-Buy Tradeshow.PADDLERS - WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
Click on the link below of your designated launch site for information and details about FZ 2011:
- Lake Potter Launch - All skill levels
- Credit Island Launch - Intermediate
- Ben Butterworth Launch - Intermediate
- Ben Butterworth Launch - Advanced
The Advanced Paddle is full at 250 boats
Registration for the Int. Paddle from Ben Butterworth is still open
Registrations are “flooding” in with over 1100 paddlers so far!
The registration fee is now $15 per paddler. Registration includes one Floatzilla t-shirt per paddler, commemorative boat decal, registration wrist bands, free music and rib fest at ‘River Roots Live’, free parking, and free shuttle to off-site parking for ‘floats’ from Moline. T-shirts and decals subject to availability for any registrations after Aug 14.NEW THIS YEAR
Arrive early to check out the Try Before You Buy Tradeshow & Live Auction
Trade show vendors will feature the following brands for demo and/or sale:
- Boats: Current Designs, Dagger, Old Town, Perception, WeNoNah, Wilderness Systems,
- Paddles: Bending Branches, Carlisle, NRS, Werner
- PFDs: Extrasport, MTI Adventurewear, NRS
- Lots of additional gear and accessories
- LIVE AUCTION: at 1p.m. you can bid on 3 great paddling items:
- Lot 1 - Kestral 120 kayak by Current Designs [Auctioned model will be yellow: $800 value - Sponsored by Paddle & Trail]
- Lot 2 - Bending Branches carbon fiber kayak paddle [$350 value - Sponsored by Fever River Outfitters]
- Lot 3 - Extrasport Sturgeon PFD [$120 value - Sponsored by Fever River Outfitters]
- Auction proceeds go to Floatzilla 2011 - All items can be viewed at the tradeshow from 10-1
- Test out & buy new boats and paddling equipment
- Check out & buy the latest in outdoor and paddling gear
- Load up on some cool Floatzilla merchandise
- Visit the US Coast Guard “Wear It” truck & get some tips from Leave No Trace
- Sit back, grab something to eat & drink, and enjoy the live music
11 States and Counting!!!
Floatzilla will feature live music & food at Lake Potter. Java Java will be at Lake Potter serving coffee and breakfast items in the morning and grilling during the afternoon. The Burger Boat will also be on the water to grill your lunch to order [featuring burgers, brats, chicken, pork-t, and drinks]. Ever eaten a burger in a kayak?
River Action, Inc., is the event coordinator.
For more information, visit the River Action websiteor call 563-322-2969.
If you are from East-Central Iowa, this jingle may bring back the nostalgia of childhood summers gone by.
Wacky Waters Adventure Park
Written and arranged by Steve Couch, who’s website is the place which led me to acquire this miraculous bit of childhood pastime.
Recorded at MidCoast Communications Center, Davenport, IA
Audio Engineer - Tim Richardson
Vocal Direction - Jenny Frogley