Follow posts tagged #q and a, #ask me, and #anon in seconds.Sign up
50 questions, 50 ways to get to know me.
- 1: What would you name your future daughter?
- 2: Do you miss anyone?
- 3: What if I told you that you were pretty?
- 4: Ever been told “it’s not you, it’s me”?
- 5: What are you looking forward to in the next week?
- 6: Did you go out or stay in last night?
- 7: How late did you stay up last night?
- 8: Honestly, has anyone seen you in your underwear in the past 3 months?
- 9: What were you doing at 12:30 this afternoon?
- 10: Have you ever told somebody you loved them and not actually meant it?
- 11: Could you go for the rest of your life without drinking alcohol?
- 12: Have you pretended to like someone?
- 13: Could you go the rest of your life without smoking a cigarette?
- 14: Is there one person in your life that can always make you smile?
- 15: Is it hard for you to get over someone?
- 16: Think back five months ago, were you single?
- 17: Have you ever cried from being so mad?
- 18: Hold hands with anyone this week?
- 19: Did your last kiss take place in/on a bed?
- 20: Who did you last see in person?
- 21: What is the last thing you said out lot?
- 22: Have you kissed three or more people in one night?
- 23: Have you ever been to Paris?
- 24: Are you good at hiding your feelings?
- 25: Do you use chap stick?
- 26: Who did you last share a bed with?
- 27: Are you listening to music right now?
- 28: What is something you currently want right now?
- 29: Were your last three kisses from the same person?
- 30: How is your heart lately?
- 31: Do you wear the hood on your hoodie?
- 32: When was the last time a member of the opposite sex hugged you?
- 33: What do people call you?
- 34: Have you ever wanted to tell someone something but didn’t?
- 35: Are there any stressful situations in your life?
- 36: What are you listening to right now?
- 37: What is wrong with you right now?
- 38: Love really is a beautiful thing huh?
- 39: Do you make wishes at 11:11?
- 40: What is on your wrists right now?
- 41: Are you single/taken/heartbroken/confused/waiting for the unexpected?
- 42: Where did you get the shirt/sweatshirt you’re wearing?
- 43: Have you ever regretted kissing someone?
- 44: Have you hugged someone within the last week?
- 45: Have you kissed anyone in the last five days?
- 46: What were you doing at midnight last night?
- 47: Do you miss the way things were six months ago?
- 48: Would you rather sleep with someone else or alone?
- 49: Have you ever been to New York?
- 50: Think of the last person who said I love you, do you think they meant it?
What inspires you to keep creating?
That’s a great question! I have to admit, I don’t know if I have a satisfying answer.
It’s not something I think about, really. I’ve always been doing SOMETHING creative… well, in high school, I was more of an athlete, but I was always drawing all over the desks and walls; pretty much everyone in my immediate family is creative so it’s just one of the things we ‘do’.
At my university, I started focusing more on truly being creative. I was lucky enough to run the student TV station on campus for 4 years, and I had a really, really, really, really awful comic strip in the student newspaper, published every 2 weeks.
So, during that time, most of my day to day work involved creating something or other… for the TV station especially, I had to create an hour of original content each week, so I learned a lot about how to finish stuff, how to work on the fly, and most importantly I learned how awful I was.
That’s one thing that almost everyone doesn’t quite realize when they start trying to be creative… they kinda know what they wanna be, what they wanna create, but in the beginning you’re just an awful version of what you’ll eventually become :-) I cringe thinking about the first thingies I made back then, but I had to do the really crappy work so I could improve.
You really gotta get out there and DO the type of work you wanna do, and let the world see it, to figure this whole “being creative” thing out. It’s easy to sit back and kinda smugly think about how much better your work would be than the junk you see around you, but if you’re not actually making anything to prove it…
That’s why I always tell people who ask for advice that the only real trick to being creative is to keep being creative. And finish work! Then, learn from your finished work and move on. I haven’t met anyone who wasn’t awful at first, and even everyone’s favourite artists and authors did relatively embarrassing work early in their careers. It’s just how it goes, and ya gotta get over that fear of making horrible work so that you can learn how to make stuff you actually like.
So, right now, I don’t really have one thing I can point to that inspires me to keep creating. It’s a big part of who I am, and I do it without thinking about doing it.
Also, the fact that I’ve been lucky enough to establish a decent sized audience here on Tumblr is great motivation as well! Knowing that people will for SURE be seeing whatever work I post, and usually liking it, is great motivation and inspiration. The response and messages I get from people like you is amazing.
Plus this is sorta’ my career and all… I never planned on being an illustrator since I wasn’t that good at drawing, and I still got a lot to learn, but I know the only way to get there is to keep working and creating. Having the ambition to make a living at this is great inspiration, I guess.
The other thingies come first though! I think that before we can think about a career at this sort of work, you gotta learn how to finish and show your creative work, and gain an audience. Everything else falls in line after that.
I hope that answered your question decently enough :-) I’m always bad at answering questions about my inspiration, since most of this is just ingrained in me.
I know that if you wanna be creative, then you have to create.
Take care Mister or Misses Anon! And thank you for the nice question :-)
David Michael Chandler
what do you look like ?
I get asked this every once in a while by anons, and I tend to not answer it since it’d clutter up the site and I figure if someone REALLY wants to see my face they could find it pretty easily, but it couldn’t hurt to do it once— however, you could always just click my FAQ that I got at the bottom of every single post I do, if ya wanna see me.
But since I’m a nice boy, I’ll do the work for ya! Here is me:
And here is a bonus picture of me and my nephew, Cooper:
I am a standard bald boy, a lil’ over 6’1”, and held together by steel and vengeance. ^__^
I hope I passed the test of what I should look like!
David Michael Chandler
hi:3 i really like your blog, i was wondering if all the illutrations were yoursO: because i really love them♥ and i also whant to ask, how do you do them? i mean, do you do draw them or yoy use a type of program etc... kisses♥
Hey there, thank you! :-)
EVERYTHING on my site is done by me, yup! All of the illustrations and writing and whatnot… the one part I ask friends for help with is with the gifs, because they’re much gooder at computery things and I don’t even own Photoshop. SO, I tell them what I want, and they do it better than I even hoped because they’re geniuses :-) Fatma, Kyle, and Chiara are the great artists and bestest friends who’ve helped me with my giffing.
Other than that, everything is done by me. :-)
And in answer to your other question, everything is done by hand! I use mostly Crayola coloured pencils now, with some bits here and there done with dollar store markers and highlighters (I used to use markers more often, but I really didn’t like how it was looking).
Here’s my basic process: I pencil my drawing with a regular ol’ mechanical pencil, then I ink it with some Micron pens (I am not that particular with which inking pen I use, though I know some have their favourites… I use whatever I got). After it’s inked, I colour everything by hand with the coloured pencils and markers, and then sometimes I will re-ink a few touches because the coloured pencil can dull the sharpness of the linework.
I think I am pretty consistent with my method now, though it took a while to learn how to draw (long time readers can remember how bad my first 200 drawings or so were), and especially how to colour. I’ve messed up on almost every drawing.
After the drawing is all coloured and I am happy with it, I load it up onto my laptop, open up Picmonkey.com and then round the corners of the picture :-) I know it’s not an essential part of them, but I like it.
I think I am trying to make it like a childhood photo, or at least my childhood, and I think this old picture of me as a kid kinda influences it—
I liked the warm glow of it, and the rounded corners, and I guess I went for “that look” without even realizing.
After the corners are rounded, I then post the drawing and the story together (usually the story, or at least the idea for the story, comes before the drawing… but not always. And often, however the drawing turned out influences what the story is).
And then I hope they do well! :’-o Because I am not cool and I care if something does poorly.
Thank you for the question, and for making it about something that is handy to answer publicly :-)
MY APOLOGIES FOR THE SLOWDOWN OF DAILY DOODLES THIS PAST WEEK, I am working on something for my site’s 2 Year Anniversary, and plan to post it Monday!
Kisses to you Admiral Anon! I love you.
And I’ll thank you again on the official “2 Year Anniversary Post” post, but thank you everyone who reads these things and has helped support me creatively over the last 2 years as I tried to make these into something that I can do sumthin’ with. It really means a lot to me, and creating this site is one of the best things I’ve ever done.
—David Michael Chandler
Send Me A Number, I'll Answer Your Question
- 1: What would you name your future daughter?
- 2: What would you name your future son?
- 3: Do you use chapstick?
- 4: Do you sleep with your closet door open or closed?
- 5: Do you use a nightlight?
- 6: Do you still sleep with some sort of stuffed animal or security blanket?
- 7: Do you usually do your hair &/or makeup in your room, or in the bathroom?
- 8: Favorite thing to eat for breakfast?
- 9: Favorite perfume fragrance?
- 10: Favorite store/name brand?
- 11: What type of pictures are currently on your calendar?
- 12: Favorite sport to play?
- 13: Favorite sport to watch?
- 14: Favorite book?
- 15: Favorite quote from this book?
- 16: Favorite movie?
- 17: Favorite quote from this movie?
- 18: Ever been to Disney World?
- 19: Favorite souvenir from a trip?
- 20: Somewhere you want to travel to one day?
- 21: What color socks are you wearing right now?
- 22: Favorite singer or band?
- 23: Favorite pastime?
- 24: Your signature food?
- 25: Favorite video game?
- 26: A random fact about anything?