Tumblr is where tens of millions of creative people around the world share and follow the things they love.Sign up to find more cool stuff to follow
About that proposed NYC soda ban.
- The city’s restaurant industry wants you to think it’s opposed to Mayor Bloomberg’s proposed ban on many sugary drinks 16 ounces or larger because it’ll hurt their bottom line.
- But such a ban would actually put more money in the industry’s pockets.
- “But how?” you say.
- Well, now that they can’t sell you a 32-ounce cup for, say, $2,
- they can now sell you two 16-ounce cups instead for, say, $1.50.
- Do the math!
- Even at fast food restaurants and movie theatres that offer free refills,
- they’ll be refilling a — you guessed it! — smaller cup. Less product given out for free = padding the bottom line!
- Your standard cup sizes at most food service establishments, BTW?
- 12 ounces (kids), 21 ounces (“small”), 32 ounces (“medium”), and 44 ounces (“large”).
- Standardizing a 16-ounce cup will be an inconvenience for the food service industry, that’s for sure
- but once they start making the cups, all they gotta do is sell them
- and believe me, restaurants will sell them
- at whatever price point they damned well please
- so give me another argument as to why the city shouldn’t ban these drinks
- like “drinking that much soda on a regular basis might kill you” or something
- and not this whiny restaurant industry argument
- which has as much appeal as a 16-ounce cup
- of bullshit.