Can I just say something to everyone who thinks this Yahoo buying Tumblr thing is an over reaction?
It is not over reacting and here’s why
- Yahoo wouldn’t be “buying Tumblr just to close it down, that’s stupid guys lol”, no, you don’t understand, it isn’t to close Tumblr, but if everyone leaves and Yahoo loses the money they invested they’ll be forced to shut it down like they did with four other websites
- “The worst thing that can happen is ads”, no, again, you are wrong, what people are worried about is that Yahoo will remove the social part of Tumblr like they did with Flickr, because of copyright claims it’s highly possible they’re remove ALOT of fandom related things too, they also damaged Flickr’s mobile app and made it basically impossible to use, I KNOW alot of you people use your phones to get on Tumblr and ONLY your phones, also you might HAVE to have a Yahoo email address to get into Tumblr, now how is that troubling you wonder? Well for one thing what about people who just like lurking and don’t log in/can’t log in for some reason? (Like being on a shared computer) or just not WANTING a Yahoo email account? I have a Yahoo email account because I have that address (wich I made when I was 13) on my buisness cards, and I’m not willing to get a ton of new buisness cards and hand them out to everyone I gave old ones to just to change my email address, but believe me Yahoo has problums
- It isn’t about “not wanting anyone to buy Tumblr”, it’s about not wanting YAHOO to buy Tumblr because YAHOO doesn’t know what they’re doing, they’re buying Tumblr to, quote, “get a younger crowd” wich is NOT the right approach and wich means ALOT would have to change since Tumblr isn’t Facebook, YouTube, or anything else mainstream, I’d be FINE if Google or another REASONABLE company wanted to buy it
- We KNOW Tumblr is having financial issues, we are not IGNORING that and we DON’T want Tumblr to close, what we want is for someone else to invest/buy it, because there are several other companies who have even more money who are willing to buyout Tumblr including facebook and microsoft, and despite what I have against Facebook I tend to think they know what they’re doing more than Yahoo given that Facebook is not in the toilet with it’s audience like Yahoo is
- The CEO responsable for this “wants to give Yahoo a social media platform” and “integrate it into people’s daily lives” that means Yahoo is no longer a place that is, mostly, free of judgement, it becomes open game for anyone with a computer or a cell phone, that means all the highschool kids who bully someone for being gay, overweight, geeky, tomboyish, or for having any life problum like cutting, an eating disorder, parents getting divorced, suffering depression etc, our haven will be gone and full of riff-raff
- AGAIN, porn is not the only thing risking censorship, so is ANYTHING related to ANY fandom, gifs, fanart, free towels from the DVD boxed sets, it could all be taken away because of copyright laws being misinterperted and blown out of proportion
- The CEO of Yahoo has already come under fire for other things that make me believe she’s not the nicest tool in the shed, earlier today it was reported that she doesn’t believe in feminism, and I’m not sure what EXACTLY she said, so I take this with a grain of salt, but I remember very well her coming under fire months ago because she made working at Yahoo EXTREMELY difficult on single mothers- or any mothers really- and has been a constant thorn in the sides of alot of adult women
- Yahoo HAS been SOLELY responsable in the past for closing down four very popular websites right after acquiring and ruining them, and leaving Flickr for the birds at that
- If Tumblr becomes part of the Yahoo homepage BS that I’ve been seeing floating around (and considering they want this “integrated into daily lives” it very well could be) would YOU want to be seeing all those mind-numbing headlines wile you’re trying to do something on Tumblr? Scrolling and suddenly “Kim Kardashian is pregnant again” or “Celebrity weight loss secrets” really?
- Tumblr is supposed to be a safe, private, place with people who, although all having very different opinions, are like-minded in a few very KEY ways, like-minded in needing this place to escape the troubles of life, are you SERIOUSLY going to want to be posting something serious, looking for some help like so many users do ((IE: I feel like cutting, I need someone to talk to, or my parents are really mad at me and I can’t sleep and please distract me so I don’t cry for another hour, or even just where is Sherlock season 3?)) and see 14 year-old cheerleaders go “Lol, fag” or some guy in their fourties ask you what you did to make your parents so mad? And don’t say that won’t happen because that’s MAINSTREAM SOCIETY, and it DOES happen, and that’s why you DON’T walk into a school or a Walmart or down the street in your own neighborhood and broadcast these things because you get RIPPED TO SHREDS for it
So please stop saying that “Shut up about the ads guys” and “OMG THIS ISN’T A BIG DEAL JUST GTFO” because it WILL be a big deal if all this happens