Follow posts tagged #parades, #soundsational, and #marching band in seconds.Sign up
The Thanksgiving Parade Goes Horribly Wrong [Full Post]
- Good morning, and a Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. Welcome to the annual Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade.
- That’s right, New York may still be reeling from the fallout of Hurricane Sandy, but you just can’t keep down that New York spirit.
- And here comes the first balloon: why it’s Shrek, the ogre from the movie Shrek!
- And who’s this, coming up behind Shrek? Ohhhhh, your kids certainly know who this is — it’s Shrek again, but this version of Shrek is from Shrek 2.
- Huh, two Shreks?
- Yes, most of the balloons were damaged during the hurricane. Parade organizers were forced to use whatever balloons were left.
- I’m sorry, I’m going to have to interrupt you it looks like the next balloon is coming down the way here. Is that Gumby’s pal Pokey?
- No, that’s Donkey, Shrek’s pal in Shrek, Shrek 2, Shrek the Third, and Shrek Forever After.
- Seems like someone stored the box with all the Shrek balloons, in a high, water-tight place.
- It’s certainly starting to look that way, but what’s this? Oh, this next one doesn’t look like a character from Shrek.
- It does NOT look like that, and yet it is.
- Well, fuck me.
- It’s Puss in Boots from Shrek 2.
- Looks like we’ve reached a break in the balloons, thank God. What do we have here, dancers?
- Yes, this is apparently the cast of Shrek: the musical, here to make me feel like I’m going insane.
- I know that feeling!
- Wait! Is that Snoopy?! Beloved pet to Charlie Brown?!
- No! It’s Shrek!
- Right you are. Even though they look nothing alike, I was clinging to the mad hope that there would be something more than characters from Shrek movies here. [Keep Reading]
Watch the Parade in Frontierland
“Avoid the crowds on Main Street and watch the parades from Frontierland for a better view and better ride access afterwards!”
It seems like everyone and their mother (sometimes literally) makes a beeline for Main Street to watch the parades and I’m just not sure why. I guess having the castle in the background is iconic, but sometimes its so packed there that you have to walk through the stores just to get past the crowd on the sidewalks! And then you’re stuck elbowing your way through when its over just to try to get to a part of the park where the parade might still be going on with more crowds…
So the solution is simple: watch the parade in Frontierland. Frontierland attracts crowds much later than Main Street does for parades so you can get a front row seat and if you position yourself cleverly enough, as soon as the parade is over you can run right on either Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain, or even Pirates!