Overheard in My Classroom: Selfies
- [I'm trying to address final questions my kiddos had for their Junior Papers, which are due tomorrow (FINALLY!) after a month of working on them and only focusing on them in class. I spy one of my students with her phone out in the back row.]
- Me: Really? Come ON! What are you doing?
- Her: [doesn't even notice I'm looking at her, let alone talking to her. I know what she's doing as I see her fluff her hair and try to "smize."]
- Me: My English class is not the time nor the place to be taking selfies. Put the Instagram away right now.
- Her: [It clicks that I've caught her.] Oh! Sorry, Miss. [Flashes me a smile in the hopes that I'll forgive her or forget what I just saw.]
- Me: [glares]
- Her friend: Ohhhhh, Ms. M, you're my favorite. I can't believe you know what a selfie is!