Today I realized that there are 12 gods on Mount Olympus, and then this happened. I’m not sorry.
This is all perfect in every single way. I will fight you if you don’t agree. I have good reasons for EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THESE.
Zeus - Karkat
Poseidon - Feferi
Hades - Aradia
Hestia - Kanaya
Hera - Vriska
Ares - Eridan
Athena - Terezi
Apollo - Sollux
Aphrodite - Gamzee
Hermes - Tavros
Artemis - Nepeta
Hephaestus - Equius
( I just found this thing I wrote a long time ago, it was a mythology!stuck AU where John is a windy trickster God and Dave is a crow god whose been imprisoned inside a human body with his memories wiped and John has to find him, and it was really cool but I never wrote it all out? But yeah here’s a lil bit uwu)
Dave Strider has felt an odd pull his entire life, from as long as you can remember, a certain sense of definite wrongness in how he goes about everything, something off and uneven even in the casual spring in his step.
The caw of a bird or the kick of the wind stirs up something deep and primeval inside of him, within the primordial soup of his being, and something tugs against him to do something reckless, to jump off a cliff and sprout wings and fly off into the horizon, carried by the wind resting on his shoulders—-
Sometimes he feels that if he could fly up high enough, and reach out far enough, he could grasp the sun in the palm of his hand and bring it back down to earth.
But today, as he walks down the street on his way home from work, it is dark and gloomy with the sun blocked out by the clouds, and the usual inexorable pull is muted and shadowed by what looks like a building storm.
The wind suddenly kicks up and Dave’s eyes are brought up as the woman in front of him begins to flail around. He glances up and sees the women reaching for the hat that had been lifted off her head by the sudden gust of wind, tumbling just out of her scrabbling hands as she chases after it.
The hat seems to dance on the wind, just barely moving beyond the woman’s fingertips, teasing her by floating within reach and then jerking away at the last moment. Finally, the hat flutters and comes to a stop on the sidewalk, the flustered woman reaching down and grabbing it before hurrying off. Dave slows in his step a moment as the wind blows in his direction and tousles at his hair, ghosting through his scalp and causing his heart to inexplicably leap. He glances down again as the wind dies away and his heartbeat calms, and he continues on his way.
A couple of blocks down the wind kicks up again, and Dave almost feels a slight pull at his sunglasses, the invisible force sliding them down his nose. Dave’s hands instantly fly up to his face, holding onto the glasses and keeping them in place. In response the wind brushes against his cheek, tender and almost like a gentle kiss.
And then like that the wind flits away again, sending the sparse trees lining the sidewalk all aflutter, leaves twirling slightly in the gale before falling back down to the concrete and leaving the scene in silence.
So I’ve been thinking more about Mythologystuck lately, since people have been bringing it up again and
I figured I should repost the character list I made awhile back and all in case anyone is interested
With a few additions
The main focal point of the AU is God!John finding Dave, who was trapped in a human body with his memories wiped as a punishment by the God!Condesce for being a thorn in her side. And they get into shenanigans and meet others and try to restore Dave while simultaneously trying to prevent the Condesce from initiated another diluvian apocalypse or something. So yeah.
- John-trickster god, also has power over wind, which he uses as a part of his pranks and schemes. He also has the ability to become and make others invisible. Had feelings for Dave and was his close companion before he had the Witch wiped Dave’s memories and imprisoned him in the body of a human. John has spent a couple of years looking for Dave. He can exhibit gender variability like other trickster gods, and has a little salamander deity daughter as a result of this, who is currently in Rose’s care. (Think of Loki, ahah)
- Dave-crow god, bringer of fire, was associated and traveled with John before his memories were wiped by the witch. Based loosely off of the Raven figure in North American/Siberian mythology, so he’s technically a kind of trickster figure like John. In tune with the “Raven steals the Sun” myth, he also serves as a kind of Prometheus figure who brought light and fire to humankind. This might be what caused the Witch (who is, shockingly, the Condesce in a differently form) to seek him out and imprison his body in a human’s, as revenge for giving humankind light and thus breaking her control over them (which she did by keeping them in the dark, literally.)
- Rose-goddess of transition, responsible for the change from night into day and vice versa. Is going to be kind of a Persephone type figure, spending her days during summer and spring free, while spending fall and winter under the eye of the primordial/chaotic Old Ones (because this is all mythos and I can use Lovecraftian ideas if I want it works in context)
- Jade-Right now I kind of have Jade as an oracular, prophetic deity, like Apollo. Also she’s associated with Hypnos and sleep/dream derived powers, as well as the domain of memory.
- Jane-Goddess of prosperity, plenty, the household and wealth kind of like a Demeter/Lakshmi/Hestia conglamorate figure.
- Jake-A bit sketchy on him. I want him to be kind of like Tyr (god of combat, victory, and heroism) but I’m not totally sure.
- Dirk/Bro-Is in more familiar terms a god of the forge, like Hephaestus, except adopted to the present day. He’s very capable and knowledgeable when it comes to the construction of weapons, as well as more modern objects and devices.
- Roxy-basically Bacchus/Dionysus in female form. Goddess of wine and partying and having a good time.
- Dad-basically Marduk, Babylonian god of storms (because John=wind and STORMS are like the daddy of winds), currently absent. John thinks he’s dead/killed by the Condesce but he’s still alive somewhere hiding out until he can come back and kill the Empress. Because I like badass Dad. Deal wit it.
- Karkat-God of war and bloodshed. I feel this is an obvious one. Though he’s gonna have some insecurities about the whole actual act of shedding blood and blood sacrifice and such and such.
- Aradia-probably going to be some kind of figure of death, like the Nordic Hel, or a reaper of some sort. Yeah, that”ll work.
- Tavros-Mainly BULL STUFF AND EVERYTHING ASSOCIATED WITH BULLS IN MYTHOLOGY because simply put that’s the easiest route to take and 90% of the trolls aren’t really going to factor a whole lot into the AU. Primarily associating him right now with Apis, worshipped in Egyptian mythology as a protector of the deceased and a symbol of steadfastness and fighting spirit.
- Sollux: Honestly he’s still the only one I have no clue about? Heeeeelp
- Nepeta-Basically Eros. Tends to arbitrarily make people who she think would look nice together fall in love.
- Kanaya-Fertility/Domesticity/Virginity goddess. Basically a cross between Demeter, Hestia, and Artemis. Still a bit of a badass.
- Terezi-Goddess of justice and divine law, ala the Greek Themis.
- Vriska-Is probably going to be a kind of fierce Durga/Mahadevi-esque entity because of the multiple arm thing. There might be some kind of Arachne mythos going on here too, I’m not too sure yet.
- Equius-Kind of like Chiron, god of virility in the shape of a centaur. Cause why not.
- Gamzee-Maybe like a Pan type god or something? Not totally sure.
- Eridan-Some kind of sea god thing. I don’t even know. I kind of want to make him like a Fijian/Pacific Islander mythos shark god/sea monster or something but I’m not sure. Definitely something a little solitary and bestial, though. Or maybe a male!Scylla type of thing.
- Feferi-A female Poseidon type figure. Maybe the daughter of a greater deity or something? (ie the Condesce?)
- Jack/Bec Noir-Kind of a Fenrir sort of deal here.
- Davesprite-He’s going to be some kind of former agent created by the Witch who erased Dave’s memories. He is Dave’s dopplegänger, and John has to prevent the two of them from seeing each other or else they’ll both die. He does this by keeping Davesprite invisible. He was a stand in for Dave while John was looking for him and helped him outing feels a bit embittered now that John has found Dave and he tends to neglect Davesprite a bit. (His name’s not going to be Davesprite….Davedopple? IDEK)
- Casey-A mini-deity conceived by John and a mythological fire salamander god thing (like the kinds in classical/medieval lore) through one of John’s “pranks” while using his ability to switch between genders. Currently being cared for by Rose while John looks for Dave.
- Skaia-It’s probably going to be the name for the kind of Valhalla/Brahman/Oversoul/Mt Olympus endgame residence of gods and deities and souls and what not.
- Prospit/Derse-Might end up being personified as the initial deities of light/dark/life/death and the progenitors of the current universe. Kind of like the concepts of Yin and Yang also?
- Empress Condescension-essentially Tiamat, primordial chaos goddess/goddess of salt water from Babylonian mythology responsible for the creation of a first generation of deities ( which are going to be some of the ancestors, maybe created by the Condesce through mating with Dualscar who would represent freshwater and would go along with the Tiamat myth, but idek yet, anyway the eventual descents are going to be the kid troll deities) and then tried to kill them, but was defeated by Dad/Marduk and sent into hiding. Might also have some aspects of Jormungandr/Midgard serpent thrown in as well just to tie more of the apocalyptic stuff together.
- Ancestors-Are gonna kind of be like the Titans of Greek mythology, the first wave of deities who were either imprisoned or killed by the Condesce. I dunno if they’ll end up having any relevance at all.
“Who’s there?” You croak. Echoing laughter seems to haunt every corner of your room.
“Why don’t you stop Carol Ann-ing me and show yourself.”
There’s a chuckle right in your ear and you start and whip around, bat held at the ready, only for the voice to hum again right close to your jawline.
“Jeez, you really are no fun anymore, aren’t you Dave?”
And just like that the air right in front of you ripples, like there’s a chameleon curtain hanging right in front of you but then that illusion is ripped away as a human figure materializes in front of you. And for a moment you think it’s definitely some kind of fucking devilspawn because its huge and towers above you, but then you see its feet and realize that it isn’t really touching the ground at all.
Holy shit, there’s a dude in his room. A floating dude.
His hair is wild and untamed, sticking out and up and all over in little curls and whorls and spikes. His eyes are a more intense shade of blue that you’ve ever seen before. They’re too vibrant to be real, too shiny to be made out of anything but glass, but then again everything about this guy is extraordinary and abnormal.
He’s dressed really weird, too. Like something out of a late 90s Japanese RPG. HIs hoodie is tessellated along the hems and missing the sleeves. You think that maybe he has a tail at first—the dude is fucking floating, it doesn’t seem like that much of a stretch—but no he sees that its merely a lengthened hood of the jacket. It flicks animatedly with everything aerial bob and weave and twirl that the guy makes. His wrists and ankles are decorated with what looks like yellow and blue patterned sweatbands. He has a strange kind of urban-tribal look about him, if that’s even a thing.
He seems wildly familiar but you can’t exactly place it—his face stirs up a flutter in your chest but at the same time pretty damn sure that you’ve never encountered this flying Final Fantasy hipster asshole before.
He smiles, and his teeth seem unnaturally white. He looks like a Cheshire cat against the darkened room.
“You really don’t remember, do you Dave?”