Follow posts tagged #my daily struggle in seconds.Sign up
- me: *talking about favorite characters from book (series), television series, or movie (series)*
- friend: you know that they're not real, right?
- me: what? what are you talking about?
- friend: the characters. they're fictional. not real.
- me: ....I realise.
- friend: then why do you talk about them like they're actual people?
- me: because they just feel so real to me.
- friend: ........
- me: *sigh* just forget it. let's just talk about something else.
I made a quick stop at the bank today, and I seen this Muslim lady and she said “as-salamu alaykum” and of course I responded “wa-alaykum salam”. so there was a man in between us and he thought we knew each other so he asked me if I wanted to switch spots because he thought we knew each other because we greeted each other. I told him no, and that I actually didn’t know the lady but I did greet her as a Muslim. so he asked me what the meaning of as-salamu alaykum was, and I told him “peace be upon you”. and he was actually surprised, he never knew the meaning, and thought it was something ridiculous (I still don’t know what he thought it could mean but okay). anyways, I’ve realized that a lot of people have this misconception of Arabic/Islamic terms and associate it with terrorism. for example the word “jihad”, it only means struggle, but people make it seem like it means some crazy holy war, and that Muslims are extremist. for myself, jihad is an inner struggle, it can mean anything, I have a fight w/ myself every morning to get my ass out of bed and go to work/school - that is my jihad. Islam isn’t about bad, all man is equal, violence against women isn’t advocated, oppression isn’t the foundation of Islam. and it sucks people don’t get to know that..
Last night me with my friend at Waffle House
- Me: (telling my friend that I am worried that I might not get along with one of my future roommates)
- My friend: What would Virginia Woolf do?
- Me: She would get her own room.
- Me: (Laugh hysterically because I am proud of that joke)
- My friend:
- My friend:
- Me: You didn't get the joke.
- My friend: Uh... It was a joke?