“19 Signs You Are Multiracial:
1. People speak to you in various foreign languages you do not understand.
2. Growing up you experienced premature existential crises over not fitting in to one specific ethnic marker.
3. People often ask, “WHAT ARE YOU?” in tones which make you feel subhuman or extraterrestrial.
4. You hesitate before filling out the “ethnic background” section of tests/ questionnaires.
5. You feel mild guilt over not identifying with one of your cultures (i.e. you hate the food).
6. You feel awkward during get-togethers with one side of the family because you look nothing like your other family members.
7. Men (or women) use your questionable ethnicity as a means to hit on you.
8. You’ve been examined like you are some rare, exotic creature.
9. You can’t understand your grandparents’ language.
10. There is an undeniable clashing of cultures whenever the two sides of your family meet.
11. Your grandparents initially disapproved of your parents’ union.
12. Similar to a “gay-dar,” you’ve developed a “multiracial-radar.”
13. You were totally eating fusion cuisine way before Kogi came into existence.
14. Playing “guess my ethnicity” is a legitimate game.
15. You’ve lied about your ethnicity in the past just for the hell of it, or to avoid conversation.
16. Your last name doesn’t really look like it belongs to you.
17. You’ve been criticized for not being [insert ethnicity here] enough, or speaking [insert language here] well enough.
18. People you meet over the phone are surprised when they meet you in person.
19. You identify as a person of color, you just don’t know which.”