Child Life - UCI Medical Center, CA
Company Name: Child Life
Company Location: UCI Medical Center
Type of Company/Industry: Medical/Hospital
Overall Rating: 9
Quality of Work: 10
Office Accessibility: 8
Staff Friendliness: 9
Job Potential: 10
Review/Comments: Amazing alternative for those taking Child & Adolescent development and do not want to intern at a school. I got to work one-on-one with pediatric patients and their families in the burn, surgical, and even neo-natal departments as well as the emergency department. I learned alot about the medical field. This internship was challenging and is definitely not a walk in the park but it is very fulfilling and you can become attached to many of the patients. You will be required to complete assignments, do training, and commit to a minimum number of hours. This internship inspired me to become a doctor, a Pediatrician to be precise. The majority of the staff is super nice, but you always get one or two sour apples. Overall it was the best internship ever especially if you are interested in working the medical field/ at hospitals.
- Background story: Soo...I work at a hospital as a Clerk. If I'm not running around taking people to the emergency room or other places I'm sitting at a desk. All the time. Giving directions. The hospital I work at is big and kinda looks like someone was on Crack when they built it... some of the wings are poorly labeled, the names are confusing and eleveators only go to certain amount of floors. However a year ago our head boss finally got off her butt and made updated signs for the hospital. They're large and pretty accurate...if you know what name of the area you need to go and what floor you cannot get lost. This makes my job easier... instead of having to give everyone the same directions over and over again and repeat myself to the point of exhaustion... I just tell them one thing: "FOLLOW THE SIGNS" .
- My coworker, Justin, doesn't always think its the nicest way to direct visitors to their destination.
- Woman: Davis 8 is....? ::waits for me to give directions:
- Minty: ::monotone:: Davis Tower, 8th floor, ma'am. Down the hall. ::biiiig smile::
- Woman: :;nervous:: o..okay.. ::walks off::
- Justin: That was hella rude. You could've told her more.
- Minty: Honey, I'm not going to insult her intelligence. If she goes down the halls and follows the giant signs with arrows that read DAVIS TOWER she shouldn't get lost. She doesn't need me to tell her how to get there step-by-step. Most of the people forget when I tell them anyway.
- Justin: You still couldve been nicer about it! Not everyone's YOU, smart-ass.
- Minty: Well, they should be. Would make my job a lot easier.
Best way to Start the Day
- [ Not even 2 minutes of being at work, I'm complimented. While sitting at my desk and making idle chit-chat with my older boss an older gentleman comes to my desk to ask for help, or so I thought. He was a lot older, probably around his sixties, wearing a stripped shirt and a golden cross dangling from his neck. He smiled wide. ]
- Man: Just want to tell you that you're so beautiful.
- Minty: Thank you. *smiles*
- Man: And you have a beautiful smile.
- Minty: Thank you! *smiles more*
- Man: ... And you have no need for make up. You dont wear much, I can tell.
- Minty: *was wearing a liiittle powder, but didnt say anything*thank you!
- Man: and dont change . Ever.
- Minty: *blushes. smiles* thank you.
- [ The man politely asked me the wherabouts for his loved one and as I'm doing my research and writing it down he continues to talk ]
- Man: wow, you're just so lovely. If I was younger I'd be on you like white on gravy and rice.
- Minty: *Tries not to laugh*
- Man: i'm serious! But just be careful about people like me. Men are bitches. And all they want is to flirt, fuck ,and forget. Never forget that! Be careful.
- Minty: Dont think my boyfriend *lie* will allow me to be around that kind of company.
- Man: Thats right! dont let them do that! take care of your two B's: Your body and your brain.
- Minty: I will.
- Man: And dont hang around them shady bastards. and dont fall in love. theres a different of being in love and falling in love. Being in love is mutual, healthy and sane. Falling in love always leads into danger. Do your research.
- Minty: ... my brothers protect me on that .
- Man: Good. And.. *grabs her hands and looks at her* Just... don't change yourself. Stay beautiful. *walks off and waves, going to visit his loved one*
- Minty: .... *to herself* man. I really needed that.
I love our hospital! Tristan is going to be delivered at St Jude Medical Center in Fullerton. It’s a pretty popular hospital where I live and a lot of people I’ve talked to have had their babies here and they all loved it. The delivery ‘suite’ is huge and has a big couch for Cody to sleep on if baby decides to take a long time, (hopefully not though). The bathroom is also very big and has a large shower… I am dreading the bathroom trip every one has to make after giving birth. Scary scary stuff
After you deliver you go up two floors to the recovery room which is also pretty big. My hospital calls themselves baby friendly, so in other words they don’t take your baby away from you ever. Circumcision room- they allow you to go in but dont advise it because they said the baby comes out not crying but the daddys are devastated haha. They do the bath and measurements in the room and they don’t even have a nursery anymore because they think it’s important to have the baby and momma and daddy stay all together. Visiting hours are 24/7 which we arent going to tell people hahaha. Im excited and can’t wait!!!!!!!! :)