Follow posts tagged #maclean in seconds.Sign up
5 Reasons Ottawa Might Surprise This Year
1. Craig Anderson was a dominant force in the crease towards the end of last year, posting an GAA of 2.05 and a SV% of .939. With solid Goaltending to back up a risky defence we should be safe with the best bald tandem in the league.
2. Jason Spezza, of course pending health as always can be a huge difference for the Ottawa Senators. I’m not the biggest fan of Spezza myself, but I know that when hes on his game (not making drop passes to Casper at the blueline) he is really on his game. If he plays well with Filatov/Michalek and Butler/Alfredsson theres no telling how great we would be.
3. Young Talent is one of the huge reasons why our team may abound success. Erik Karlsson and Bobby Butler have already proven what they can do on a disappointing team, now they just have to carry it over to a younger, faster team. In addition, there is big defenseman Jared Cowen moving up, as well as speedy David Runblad who combined for 43pts, and Cowen was +23 over his year with the Spokane Chiefs of the WHL. Both are expected to make their debut this season. Finally there is newly drafted Mika Zibanejad, Who will add to the strength and flash of the Ottawa Senators, likely as a 2nd/3rd line centreman. I believe that he will play because after being drafted Bryan Murray said that if he needed more experience he would be unsigned and left to play out his contract in SEL, he has since been signed.
4. Sand Paper not literally of course, but this is what will set them apart from previous Senators teams. The Senators added centreman Zenon Konopka for physical presence up the middle as a 3rd line man, and also have Zack Smith and Erik Condra who can hold their own, as well as tough guys Chris Neil and Matt Carkner.
5. 20th Anniversary year for the Ottawa Senators will hopefully be an unforgettable one. The Ottawa Senators will be hoping to put more than one team mate in the All-Star game this year, and will hopefully ignite more passion for team members to do well in the upcoming season.
HONORABLE MENTION: New Coach, I mean, look at that moustache!