I rarely use my tumblr for posts like this, since its mainly for art posts. I kind of miss writing in my livejournal back in those days, but I feel this is a bit important for me to write it down so I hope you guys don’t mind me sharing this with you.
Creating a personal art style
RIGHTO, some of you were OK with me doing this when I asked so here it is. A little art style guide/tutorial. This is how I do it, I’m not saying this is the best or only way. So here we go.
- Try ALL the things
Basically the first thing my art teachers taught me was to try out as many techniques as possible. Mix everything with everything and try anything at least once. If it turns out you don’t like it, you lost nothing but at least now you know it doesn’t work. But there is a chance that what you try turns out to be something you really do like, and that’s awesome. But again, you’ll never know if you don’t try. Make collages, paint an oil painting and mix it with crayons, paint with coffee or tree bark, etc. Even if you think “no, this’ll never work”, do it anyway. That way you can develop skills that can be used for a style. Remember, your art style is not just the way you draw.
- Get inspired from things you wouldn’t normally do
Listen to a music genre you usually never listen to. Join a new art sharing website, make a blog (hehe), take a walk down a street you usually never walk trough, or try new drawing/painting software . It sounds cliche but you can get inspiration from the strangest things. This is especially potent if you feel like you’ve burnt out on your own art, which often seems like a big problem with young artists. Stagnation and blandness are an arists’s biggest enemies.
- Don’t get discouraged too quickly
Developing a style that is really yours takes a looooooong ass time. Basically from the moment your first decide you like putting a pencil to paper until the moment you don’t want to anymore, your style is being developed. That means you will go trough a lot of different styles before you really settle on one that you would like to expand on. And that’s totally fine. It’s also fine to have a lot of different styles or one that slightly resembles another artist. And also keep in mind of course that with some people it’s easier to find an art style than for others. It sucks but that’s how it is.
- Find what you like and learn from it
I know this one seems kind of like given but I notice that often artists are afraid to do this because they are afraid of judgement, particularly being judged of copying another artists’s style. And let me tell you now, short from actually tracing or copying every detail of some other artists’s style, you’re not doing anything wrong. In fact that second one isn’t really wrong either, it just often completely halts your growth as an artist.
But there is absolutely nothing wrong with looking at the works of your favorite artists and taking inspiration from it. For example, you’re not satisfied with how you draw noses, you just hate it. Well, look at how your favorites draw their noses, try some of them out, tweak them a little to your liking. And again, further down the road you will draw noses in a way that is completely yours because you keep evolving. Or you should, anyway. Because you will change during the years, your tastes will change, your emotional state may change, and all of it will influence your style.
- Color, composition and anatomy
OK, this may seem a bit boring to some of you. But color and composition can be very important in developing your style. Because it’s not just the way you draw, but how you execute your piece of art that is important.
Experiment with lots of colors, use a color you’d normally never dream of using in combination with others. Try gray scale or throw all the colors together. Drawing inspiration from other artists may again work here, because maybe some of them will use combinations you’d never have thought of. I personally also find color palettes very useful, there are a bunch of different tumblrs that provide those if you need them.
I don’t feel like I’m good enough to really explain color theory but the basics are very important while you’re experimenting. There are some really good tutorials floating around just like here and here.
Another thing that is important in a style is composition, the way everything in your drawing or painting is placed on the paper/canvas/etc.
Because just drawing your characters only full body, facing one way all the time gets boring really fast. With the exception of drawing references or designing a character of course. A good composition can make a drawing with a lot going on in it feel organised or a very bare bones one feel balanced.
Again, experimentation is key here. Something that I sometimes do is I draw my character in a rather basic pose and then mess around with the crop tool, cutting of parts and turning them sideways or even upside down, just to see how it would work. There are again a lot of in-depth tutorials on deviantart and the like if you want a more elaborate explanation.
OK, something that can get on my nerves is a drawing with terrible anatomy being defended as “but it’s my style”.
You need to learn the rules before you bend them. Now I don’t mean you need to study anatomy to the smallest detail (unless that’s your thing), but some basics are necessary. After that you can mess around all you want, but some knowledge can help make your extreme style more “believable” even if it completely bendy. Unless you’re into cubism or you’re Jackson Pollock or Rothko or something. In that case I’ve got nothing.
Right,now with all those points in mind. How I got to my own style.
In high school, we got an assignment to design a minimalist poster with Illustrator. And so I found out that I had the most fun with these big areas of color without any lines, and the more simplistic, the better. I also had a lot of fun with cross-hatching and ink, and even though I don’t use ink a lot anymore these days, the cross-hatching has stayed.
I get a loooooot of inspiration from music, like lots. Preferably music without lyrics, like soundtracks. Putting the mood of a song into a pose it one of my favorite things to do. And so when I’m out of inspiration, I like looking up new bands or downloading a soundtracks for a video game or movie I don’t have yet. For me, that almost always does the trick.
Luckily I had great art teachers that taught me that you should always be proud of your art without being arrogant. Liking your own art isn’t a bad thing, just don’t take it too far. So while I did get discouraged, a lot, you need to continue drawing.. And when I get discouraged now, just looking at other people’s work cheers me up. In that aspect I’m lucky.
I love other people’s art, adore it even. So my inspiration comes from all over the place basically.
I got lucky that I got life drawing in high school, I complained about it at the time because I was terrible at it, and I still am. But now I’m grateful I know some basics. Drawing in great detail still isn’t my forte, in fact I believe it looks rather bland if it isn’t in color. So there’s that.
Colors-wise I swear by color palettes. I have a whole folder full of them, most of the time I end up changing or adding colors, but still. It’s so great.
RIGHT, so that’s it. I hope it was somewhat helpful. And again, this is my take on all of it, I’m not saying it’s the best or only way. Thanks for letting me ramble on and if you actually read the whole ting, I tip my hat to you.
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask!
Ianthony Fanfic Masterpost
- One Big Surprise - Anthony surprises Ian. ‘Nuff said.
- Untitled - Ian and Anthony’s camera is stolen.
- Waking Up - Anthony wants to respond to the anxious voice, he really does, but he can’t. He can’t seem to do anything right now, let alone focus on a voice that is causing an irritating buzzing in his ears. He can only seem to pay attention to the blinding pain that is spreading rapidly all over his being. The last thing he hears before he sinks unwillingly into unconsciousness is the honey-like voice saying, “Please don’t leave me..” When Anthony wakes up, he is in a world completely devoid of anything.
- Time - No description.
- Ours - Ian and Anthony may struggle with bullies, but their love gets them through anything.
- Easy - It’s simple, but that’s how everything has always been between them.
- Giving In - Ian’s always had a thing for pissing himself, but he hasn’t actually done it in years. At least, not until tonight.
- In The Dark (Can You Feel It?) - Ianthony Supernatural AU. Ian has been hunting for seven years, alone. But when a new hunter by the name of Anthony saves him from a vampire attack, Ian feels an obligation to let Anthony work with him. But Anthony is cocky and careless, and he has the most infuriating little smirk that drives Ian crazy.
- (Get A Little Bit) High Off His Love -Ian felt so good and Anthony had stopped caring two drinks ago that Ian was a guy and his best friend because the way Ian had grabbed the crotch of Anthony’s jeans and looked up at him with those clouded blue eyes and whispered “I want you” through swollen pink lips was the hottest thing Anthony had ever experienced.
- Wear Me Out - Ian and Anthony are alone together for the first time after having a big argument.
- Teenage Dream - Teenage!Smosh. Ian and Anthony have sex for the first time.
- Our Love - Ian ties Anthony up for an afternoon of unusual fun.
- Experiments - Ian has a piss fetish, and Anthony agrees to experiment with him.
- Dare - Ian and Anthony are playing a drunken game of Truth or Dare, but things get out of hand when Ian dares Anthony to pee his pants.
- Heat Of The Moment - Ian blurts out a confession in the middle of sex.
- Keep Me Guessing - It had been Anthony’s idea to jerk off together in the first place, and that had to mean something, right?
- Into The Velvet Sky - Smutty sequel to The Weekend We Were In Love. Ian and Anthony get high in the backyard one night.
- Life Of The Party - YouTube parties always seemed to get out of hand.
- In The Closet - Ian and Anthony sneak off during the filming of “Parents Suck!” for some alone time in a closet.
Teen And Up Audiences
- For An Angel, You’re Not That Bad - Anthony lost his family to vampires and was taken in by Sam&Dean. He’s with them as a fellow hunter for a few months before he meets Ian, an angel that ends up forming a unique bond with him. Takes place after 08X19.
- Now Or Never - After a month Anthony Padilla had broken up with his girlfriend, Ian Hecox believed that it is time for him to confess his feelings toward him, but how will Anthony react to this, and it seems Lasercorn (David Moss) might have an interest for Ian. Who will Ian choose?
- Sex And Sandwiches - Ian can’t remember if he’s ever had sex with Anthony. Anthony just wants to make a sandwich.
- Midnight - It’s New Year’s Eve, but Anthony doesn’t feel like celebrating. Ian finds a way to cheer him up.
- Don’t Listen To Them - All the hate finally gets to Ian.
- When You Need Me - Anthony’s girlfriend dies in a horrible car crash. Anthony uses self harm as a way to cope with her death.
- Solar Eclipse - Ian resembles Day. Anthony resembles night.
- One Year - It’s 2018, and Ian and Anthony are both 31. Smosh ended three years ago. Ian is now a sci-fi novelist living in Jersey with Melanie, and Anthony is a web designer, married to Kalel with a baby on the way. Everything is normal, until Ian realizes that he hasn’t seen Anthony in one year, and decides to spend Christmas in California with his best friend.
- Watch Over You - Teenage!Smosh. Anthony takes care of Ian while he’s drunk.
- Dirty Little Secret - Ian walks in on Anthony while he’s doing something rather unusual.
- Sacramento Traffic - Ian and Anthony are stuck in traffic, and Anthony has to pee.
- Phases - Ian was always going through phases.
- I’ll Walk Right Beside You - [Future Fic] Ian’s wedding is called off at the last second, which gives Anthony an idea.
- The Weekend We Were In Love - Ian needs some “inspiration” to write the newest video script. Anthony’s happy to provide, but things don’t go quite as planned.
- Just Us - A shared motel room brings Ian and Anthony closer than they’ve been in a long time.
- “Brotherly” Love - Ian is adopted by Anthony’s family and the two brother’s find themselves falling for each other.
- In My Veins - A touching Ianthony story you won’t forget.
- Never Forgotten - Ian finds out something that could change his and Anthony’s relationship forever.
- The Darkness - Ian has been suicidal since he was seventeen. It’s always been Anthony’s job deal with it, but he can’t take much more.
- Something Missing - Something is missing in Anthony and Kalel’s relationship. That something is Ian.
- Hawaii - Ian, Anthony and their girlfriends take a trip to Hawaii for Smosh’s 7th Year anniversery. Things get out of hand and Ian and Anthony have to take some important decisions during the course of the trip.
- The Holding Game - Ian and Melanie like to play a game to see who can go the longest without having to pee. Anthony’s sick of it, so Ian agrees to stop if Anthony can beat him at the game just once. But of course, Ian will do anything to win.
- Medicine And More - Ian and Anthony are both bedridden with a bad cold, but that isn’t enough to kill Ian’s sex drive.
- Ianthony Drabbles - A series of Ianthony drabbles based on Pon and Zi pictures. Extreme fluff!
- Masquerade Masks - Ian and Anthony meet at a Halloween party but don’t know it’s each other.
- Drink Me Under, Pull Me In - Ian and Anthony get drunk, and they decide that maybe some things aren’t quite THAT gay, really.
- Slumber Party - The Smosh Games crew stay at headquarters overnight. Anthony tells an embarrassing story about Ian, Ian gets revenge, and then something completely unexpected happens.
- Relaxation - Anthony helps Ian relax after a long day of filming.
- In Vegas - Ian wakes up next to Anthony and tries to figure out what happened last night.
- Obstacles - Future!Smosh. Ian and Anthony are at a business meeting, and Ian really has to pee, but getting to a bathroom proves far more difficult than expected.
- The Best Kind Of Mess - Teenage!Smosh. Ian and Anthony get high in the woods one night, and discover a mutual fetish.
- Watching - Ian secretly likes watching Anthony pee.
- Desperate Measures - Sequel to The One To Remember and Nights Like These. Ian has to pee during a show.
- Drunk Night - Ian ties Anthony up when they’re drunk, but when Anthony needs to pee, Ian doesn’t want to let him go.
- Nights Like Theses - One-shot sequel to the Ianthony band AU, The One To Remember. The band goes on tour.
- Yours Tonight - 18-year-old Ian and Anthony get drunk one night, and Ian’s sexual frustration gets the best of him.
- Just One Kiss - Ian and Anthony attempt to practice for a kissing scene in their next video. Things get a little out of hand.
- The One To Remember - [Band AU] Ian auditions for a new band and falls head-over-heels for Anthony, the band’s lead guitarist.
- Waiting Up - Ian comes home drunk in the middle of the night. Anthony’s not quite sure what to do with him.
More stories will be added in the future, hope you guys enjoy!
ONE LINERS. Kapag one-liners kasi mas madali itong naiintindihan kahit na madalas hindi lang iisa ang ibig sabihin. Hindi nakakatamad basahin, makukuha mo kaagad ang nais nitong iparating.
LONG TEXT POSTS. Kapag long text posts kasi, oo, effort mo sa pagbloblog ay nandoon pero may mga tao talagang hindi mahilig magbasa. Mga taong isang paragraph pa lamang ay inaayawan na. May mga pagkakataon din na sa kalagitnaan ng text post ay nawawala na ang nais nitong ipakahulugan. Madalas din kasi ay umpisa pa lamang ng pangungusap o sa title pa lang ay nawawalan na ng gana ang mambabasa na basahin ito.
Kaya huwag na kayong magtaka kung bakit mas kakaunti ang bilang ng notes ng long text posts niyo kaysa one-liners, check blogs, rate blogs o describe blogs. At isa pa, nandito tayo to express. Okay? :) Pero minsan talaga, nakakalungkot kapag walang naglike sa post mo, aminin.
i think part of the reason i love and over-enthuse about well-crafted kids and teenagers in media is that they’re so rare. you don’t see a lot of things that actually grasp what it’s like to be a teenager, or what it’s like when teenagers interact — you get the over-dramatized or heavily juvenile versions of those interactions, depending on the age group.
and that’s total balls!
kids and teenagers are fascinating character types that i think people could stand to do more with. kids are young, yeah, but they’re smart. a lot smarter than people give them credit for. and teenagers aren’t all sadness and glumness and life’s a challenge. i know a ton of teenagers who get that way, but aren’t that way by default.
it’s a hard line to walk and balance out evenly — especially with teenagers. because for a lot of teenagers, life is hard! life does suck! there’s a lot of pressures and it can be really scary and hard to handle. but way too many authors embrace that part of being a teenager and totally discard the sense of freedom, of immortality, of being awesome and horrible and terrible and wonderful all at the same time.
and hey!! teenagers, just as much as full-blown adults, can be gross and nasty and cruel. so can kids! and when people one-dimensionalize kids or teenagers, especially in favor of either focusing on older characters or poorly thought-out jokes or basic boring romance, it’s just really disappointing.
give me teenagers that are gross and vandalize public property and puff themselves up to be cooler than anyone, even themselves, actually think of them as being!!!! give me kids that are precocious and hilarious and understand the world around them without having any power to be listened to!!!! give me your lilos and nanis, your courtneys and normans and salmas, your danielles and clarkes, your bens and clems, your mikes and julies and claires, your robbies and your wendys and nate&lees!!!
give me your well-developed characters that just happen to be young, but don’t ignore what that means. tell me about their lives as they actually would be, if they were real people, and hey — your series will probably be better off for it.
'Boyz Crazy' Summary/Analysis/Reflection!
Because Gravity Falls has meant a lot to me and I don’t know how many more of the episodes I’ll keep up with or post about, I’m going to treat this like an actual essay. Look, grammar and appropriate usage of caps lock! It’s not super academic, because I’m not getting a grade, but I’ll do my best to logically reason through things and pick apart why I’m so unsatisfied with this episode and what it could mean for the Gravity Falls narrative as a whole.
So let’s talk about ‘Boyz Crazy’, and why I feel like even an episode that handles abusive, manipulative relationships honestly isn’t enough to keep me watching.
- #final word count: 3161 words.
- #unpopular opinions/
- #boyz crazy essay
- #i absolutely refuse to tag this and i'm not really open to debating a lot of it because i'm not really... interested?
- #i've read everyone's standpoints that i could find in any case so i'm fairly aware of how a lot of people feel.
Ilan na ang naging EX mo?
Nagka-ex ka na ba? Anong pakiramdam ng may ex? HAHAHA. Hindi ko alam, eh. Naranasan mo na bang makita ang ex mo at masabi sa sarili mong, “Shit! Ang panget niya na,” o kaya, “OMG! Pinatulan ko ‘yun?” Eh, naranasan mo na bang makasama uli ang ex mo at magkaroon ng awkward feeling na tipong hindi mo alam kung paano ka kikilos, o ‘yung tipong gusto mong kumilos like a boss para masabi lang na naka-move on ka na kaya happy ka na? Eh, naranasan mo na rin bang magyabang sa mga kaibigan mo na ganito na karami ang naging ex mo at ka-fling mo? Ha Ha Ha! Tanga! Ang pagyayabang ng dami ng naging ex ay pagpapaalam kung gaano ka kadaming beses naging tanga at/o malas sa pag-ibig—mas maraming ex, mas mayabang na bida, mas tanga. :)
Nagyayabang siya na 11 na ang naging ex niya, habang pinagtatawanan ko na siya sa isip ko. Ha Ha Ha :p Kaya nga ex, eh—hindi check, hindi tama, kundi mali. Ngayon, bakit mo ipagmamalaki?
Proof that Allen is the sassy gay man of the series
Prior to meeting Allen, Kanda and Lenalee looked like this:
Woah Kanda loosen up on the eyeliner you are 18 you should be over your emo phase by now, hon.
And Lenalee… you’re getting there.
Allen looked the classiest from the start, damn. Kanda ur being shown up by a 15 year old you should be ashamed.
But after Allen, we get this:
You both look like beautiful young women I bet Allen is rly proud of u.
Allen fixed up these guys and is now on to his next project. But no one wants him to leave because he is everyone’s make-up source.
And now you know the real plot behind DGM you’re welcome.
Kung Bakit Ayaw Kong Ibigay ang Upuan Ko sa Iyo Miss
- Ayoko kasi gender equality ang pinaglalaban ninyong mga kababaihan, 'di ba? Nauna akong sumakay sa bus kaya tiis ka muna.
- Ayoko kasi alam kong sa huli ako ang kawawa. Ako ang masisiksikan. Ako ang maiipit. Ako ang pwedeng matumba. Malay mo sa'yo pa ako bumagsak, mahawakan ko pa ang ano mo, edi, sasampalin mo pa ako, masasaktan ako. Kawawa naman ako.
- Ayoko kasi hindi naman ako sigurado na may chance na maging tayo. Kapag ibinigay ko ba ang upuan ko, ibibigay mo sa'kin ang number mo? Kapag tinext kita, re-reply-an m ba ako? Hindi ako sure, kaya wag na lang. Baka hingan mo pa ako ng load.
- Ayoko kasi baka taken ka na. Magmumukha pa akong mang-aagaw. Tapos kapag nagustuhan mo na ako, edi, kabit pa ang kalalabasan ko?! 'Di na uy!
- Ayoko kasi siyempre kapag magpapaupo ako, 'yung pinakamaganda na ang aayain ko. Kapag nagkataon, discrimination 'yun. Maiinsulto 'yung ibang babae na hindi ko pinaupo. Kaya para walang away, pare-pareho kayong tumayo.
- Ayoko kasi paano kung may matandang babaeng sumakay, magpapaubaya ka ba? Hindi ako sigurado, ang sigurado ako, kay lola, handa akong magpaubaya. Buti sana kung magpipirmahan tayo ng waiver na kapag may sumakay na lola, eh, magpapaubaya ka.
- Ayoko kasi kuntento na ako sa katabi ko. May itsura na, mabango na, nakasandig pa sa balikat ko. Feeling ko tuloy taken na ako. Haha