Hello, I' am doing a project for my school on discrimination against LGBTQ and I was wondering if you had some recommended reading that I would be able to recommend to a class. Thank you very much.
Sure! But it really depends on what you are looking for. I will list some titles that have to do with the general LGBTQ+ community - that are MY personal favorites from growing up and so forth…
(in no particular order)
Annie On My Mind
by Nancy Garden
Am I Blue?: Coming Out from the Silence
by Marion Dane Bauer and Beck Underwood
Also, this title has a bunch of stories that I found enjoyable:
50 Gay and Lesbian Books Everybody Must Read
by Richard Canning
Being Different : Lambda Youths Speak Out - anthology of LGBTQ teens’ experiences
by Larry Dan Brimner
GLBTQ: The Survival Guide for Queer and Questioning Teens
by Kelly Huegel
Sexuality and Socialism: History, Politics, and Theory of LGBT Liberation
by Sherry Wolf
Queer: The Ultimate LGBT Guide for Teens
by Kathy Belge
Out Law: What LGBT Youth Should Know about Their Legal Rights
by Lisa Keen
Outspoken : Role Models from the Lesbian and Gay Community
by Michael Thomas Ford
For teen and children readers, check out:
Lesbian and Gay Voices : An Annotated Bibliography and Guide to Literature for Children and Young Adults
by Frances Ann Day
Trans Liberation: Beyond Pink or Blue
by Leslie Feinberg
The Celluloid Closet - about lgbtq community in films
Dangerous Living - Coming Out in the Developing World
For the Bible Tells Me So
Freedom To Marry
8: The Mormon Proposition
For more lgbtq discrimination books, check out:
- Book Recommendations – GLBT Literature – includes fiction, drama, poetry, and non-fiction – at this Website. All public domain titles link to free online copies.
- Lambda Literary Foundation – home of the “Lammy” Awards, representing 20 categories of GLBT writing.
- Overlooked GLBT Fiction Authors – one title each by 36 outstanding novelists excluded from the Publishing Triangle list – at this Web site.
- Overlooked GLBT Non-Fiction Authors – outstanding writers excluded from the Publishing Triangle list – at this Web site.
- PlanetOut Book Resources – including several GLBT “Best” lists.
- Publishing Triangle “100 Best GLBT Non-Fiction Books” – the long-awaited Best Non-Fiction was unveiled in June 2004. Compare to Overlooked GLBT Non-Fiction Authors.
- Publishing Triangle “100 Best GLBT Novels” – controversial list from a panel of contemporary GLBT writers and critics, released in 1999. Includes a supplemental “Our Visitors’ Best” list. Compare to Overlooked GLBT Fiction Authors.
- Stonewall Book Awards – from the American Library Association, the longest-established GLBT book awards, first presented in 1971.
I hope that this list helps you out. If you are looking for certain (other) topics or need MORE of certain topics, just let me know!!
Sofia Loren Zombi
P.S. If anyone would like to add to this list and help out, please do!!