Follow posts tagged #kindergarten, #kids, and #school in seconds.Sign up
Kindergarten, AKA Introduction to Male Privilege
I met one of my daughter’s classmates who’s been infuriating her. He keeps telling her she can’t do things because she’s a girl (this week’s obsession being that she can’t play team sports, she has to be a cheerleader). Well today I watched him grab the glue stick in my kid’s hand, pull with all his might, literally screeeeaaaming in this horrible guttural demon-voice that she had to give it to him for (I’m not fucking kidding) over a full fucking minute. Meanwhile I kept saying no, she would share, but she had it first and he shouldn’t take things without asking. His tiny little face stayed contorted in this horrible grimace while he kept demanding she give it to him NOW and trying to pry it out of her fingers, and his mother (literally right next to him, touching him) just watched and said nothing.
And this is kindergarten rape culture, folks.
The teacher didn’t even notice any of this (even though there were only ~20 students and 10 parents in the room), which helps explain why my daughter constantly comes home talking about how this boy says and does awful things and doesn’t get punished. I need to have a parent-teacher conference, too, because when my daughter reports this bullying behavior to the teacher (which is what I tell her to do), she’s told not to “tattle.”
Don’t tattle on your bullies, kids, let them be disgusting bullies who never get punished for their actions. That’s not a fucking gross message to send to children or anything.
So glad it’s almost summer you don’t even know.
Demigods in nursery
- Teacher: Percy, stop playing with the water!
- Percy: SPLISH! SPLASH! SPLISH! SPLASH!
- Teacher: Annabeth, let the other kids play with the lego too!
- Annabeth: Look! I made the Eiffel Tower!
- Teacher: Jason, don't EVER stick your fingers in sockets!
- Jason: LOL SPARKS.
- Teacher: Piper, you can't ALWAYS get your way!
- Piper: *charmspeaks* I want to play with the teddy bear!
- Teacher: Frank, calm down!
- Frank: I'm a bird! CAW CAW CAW!
- Teacher: Hazel, don't keep all the beads to yourself!
- Hazel: *hides in the corner clutching jewels*
- Teacher: LEO VALDEZ!!!!!!!!!!
- Leo: *staring at his flaming finger* Oooohhhhhh, awesome!
- Percy: SPLISH! SPLASH! SPLOSH!
- Annabeth: DON'T TOUCH MY LEGO.
- Jason: SHOCKY!
- Piper: MY teddy!
- Frank: CAW CAW CAW!
- Hazel: *still hiding*
- Leo: *singing* THIS BOY IS ON FIIIIREEEE!
- Teacher: Kill me.
- Kindergartener: My boyfriend's name is Logan!
- Me: Oh... Wow. Boyfriend? What does that mean?
- Kindergartener: It means he's my boyfriend.
- Me: What's makes him your boyfriend and not your friend? What does 'boyfriend' mean?
- Kindergartener: A boyfriend is someone who acts aloof.
- Me: .... What does that mean?
- Kindergartener: Okay, okay. I heard that in a movie. It means he acts like he doesn't care.
- Me: So Logan is your boyfriend because he is aloof toward you?
- Kindergartener: Yup!
“I worked on integrating the iPad to be part of our classroom, not a separate tool. Kids starting excelling as I was able to differentiate and personalize activities for their needs. In May, just four short months later, my kids all went to first grade reading above grade level for the first time in 22 years of teaching. We were all blown away.”—http://iteachwithipads.net/how-it-began/
#education #edtech #reading #kindergarten #appleeducator