10 STEPS FOR AN EFFECTIVE CPA PROGRAM (by Atty. Almanzor Sarip Macmod)
[This can be shared but please do not reproduce since this was published in our JPIA Ledger Publication]
Atty. Macmod is a professor in UST, teaching BLT. A very inspiring professor. :)
1. I will maintain an OVERWHELMING DESIRE to become a CPA
- It is my most effective weapon against laziness that will try to conquer me anytime.
2. I will make a COMMITTED DECISION to become a CPA and study with FOCUS
- Only when I commit when I truly begin to shape my destiny. The committed decision will teach me how to acquire the power of purpose and the power of focus; otherwise I can easily be distracted by other forces external or internal.
3. I will develop an UNWAVERING BELIEF that I can make it
- Ultimately, the law of life is the law of belief, whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve said Napoleon hill, one of the most inspirational writer and teacher. The belief however must be unwavering. I will ultimate all doubts about my capabilities. The giant within me will rise the moment I truly believe that I can make it.
4. I will BE CONSISTENT with my desire, decision and belief
- Remember that we are creatures of habit, my desire and belief must form part of the habitual or daily thoughts and prayers so that they will sink in my subconscious mind, the silent architect of my destiny.
5. I will learn to CALM my mind and my body before studying
- Calming my body and mind includes simple relaxation or breathing techniques. A short prayer for God’s guidance every time I study can make a big difference. I will also remember that prayer produces a serene mind paving a way to a powerful mind. A confused and troubled mind is a weak one, which cannot focus or concentrate. Let go of all the negative or disempowering thoughts or emotions when studying.
6. I will not enter the review/classroom UNPREPARED
- Read in advance the handouts. Solve the problems in advance if there is any. I will remember that a prepared mind is better than an unprepared mind and what it hears or sees has more meaning.
7. I will not let the day pass WITHOUT REVIEWING the topics/problems
- Try solving again the problems / exercises answered. The mind’s power to remember lies in repetition. As saying goes, “practice makes perfect.”
- Learn to evaluate also myself by answering past CPA Exams on the said topics. Review again questions where I made mistakes.
8. I will not neglect my SLEEP
- A restful sleep of at least 6 hours at night is essential for my health and for proper performance of my body and mind. Without enough sleep, my mind cannot rejuvenate, hence less efficient and less effective. I cannot concentrate well. Worse my health will suffer; my brain and body will depreciate faster.
9. I will take my PRE-BOARD EXAMINATIONS
- They will formally test how efficient and effective I have been reviewing. Thru the pre-board exams I can also test my physical and more importantly my mental stamina when given successive mental works under time pressure.
10. I will eat NUTRICIOUS FOOD and take NUTRITIOUS DRINKS
- Nutritious foods mean more fruits and vegetables in my diet, avoid fatty foods and junk foods as well as red meat products; fish and white meats are better. Take fruit juice or mineral water; avoid alcoholic beverages and cigarettes as well. They can destroy my body and weaken the immune system. Take supplements if necessary (Multivitamins e.g. BECEDYN, CENTRUM, etc.) Remember, the conditions of the body affect the mind and vice-versa… (MEN SANA ET CORPORE SANO). I cannot effectively review if I am SICK.
Random Fact: I'm good in Public Speaking
Last September 2012 seminar at PSBA-Manila
Last February 16, 2013 Battle of the Golden Voices: The Search for the Next JPIA Idol
Last September 2012 Accounting tour at Deloitte (Navarro, Amper & Co. CPAs)
Ang laking tulong talaga ng JPIA kung anong meron ako ngayon, nung high school kasi ako sobrang mahiyain ako, pero ngayon, hindi na. Dati ayaw na ayaw ko magreport sa klase, pero since nung naging JPIAn ako, excited na excited ako kapag nagrereport ako sa klase.
May times na kinakabahan pa din ako kapag nagsasalita ako sa harap ng maraming tao pero fulfilling talaga once na tapos ka na magsalita sa harap ng madaming tao.
Nadevelop talaga yung intrapersonal skills ko since naging JPIAn ako, napaka fruitful talaga ng taong 2012 sa akin dahil napakadami kong naexperience bilang isang Vice President ng JPIA. Kung ano ako ngayon bilang isang leader, siguro dahil talaga sa JPIA yun.
Haha! Sorry for the Pictures, lahat yan eh haggard ako.
Magsusungit kaya ako?
The first week of the assignment phase in the screening process for JPIA’s applicants ends today. So far, meron na akong nainterview na 2 ladies.
Si Jilik ang first na aplikanteng lumapit sa’kin. Anyare?
So ayun nga, lumapit siya sakin habang nagbabasa ako ng libro sa Mez, magalang at mahinhin bumati, parang ako lang nung aplikante pa ako. Haha. So ayun, kinausap ko na siya. Nagpakilala siya tas nagbigay ng mga facts na alam niya tungkol sakin. Tinanong ko siya about different stuffs at pinadescribe ko sa kanya kung anong impression niya sa’kin. Ang sinabi niya? Mukha daw akong mabait before niya ako lapitan then nung nalapitan na niya ako, mataray daw pala ako. Baliktad ata yung sinabi niya. Hahaha. Nagpakabait naman ako at kinausap ko na siya ng maayos. Medyo naawa lang ako sa kanya kasi halatang halata sa mukha niya na kinakabahan siya, medyo naluluha pa siya during our interview, first kasi akong nalapitan niya. I gave her a full sign since siya ang unang lumapit sa’kin.
Same thing happened with Mae. Si Mae naman carry lang. Di rin kasi ako masyadong nagsasalita, nakikinig lang ako. Sabi naman niya, tahimik lang daw ako, di masyadong nagsasalita at suplada. Di pa nga ako nagpapakamean pero parang nasusungitan na sila sakin. Tinest ko siya at dinedma ng kaunti tsaka kinausap na ng matino. I also gave her a full sign.
Gusto ko sanang magsungit kaso medyo naaawa ako sa mga aplikante, lalo na sa mga babae. Lam ko naman kasi yung feeling, kadadaan ko lang dun eh. Pipiliin ko na lang kung kanino ako magtataray. Meron na din akong naririnig na may attitude na aplikante eh, itest ko daw ng katarayan ko sabi nila. Good luck to me on that.
Since medyo maluwag na ang sked kasi tapos na ang midterm exam, i’ll be doing some interviews for this coming week. Yung iba kasing aplikante hindi ako kilala, so dapat makilala ko sila at makilala nila ako.
First Day of Assignment for the Applicants
Today marks the first day of assignment for JPIA’s applicants. There is this so-called selective screening process in order to be part of the JPIA family. All of us has been there so we exactly know how it’ll work.
Since it’s my first and last semester to interview applicants, I may as well give it a shot. Ayokong maging strikta or mataray, may times siguro na ganun pero for sure i’ll be nice to them as often as I can. Lam ko na kasi yung feeling na tinatarayan at iniisnab ka. Kalurky,
sarap sapakin ng mga JPIAns na ganun nung screening process. Seryoso. Pero syempre di ko naman ginawa yun, hahaha, mabait ako eh. Chos! Tsaka meron naman silang gustong iparealize samin kaya sila ganun.
Since Quiz 2 namin bukas, magrereview muna ko ngayong araw, isiningit ko lang ang tumblr sa Computer4 class. May reporting kasi kami dito next week, eh wala naman yung partner ko so next time nalang namin sisimulan. Mag-aaral muna kami for Midterms, sa Saturday na kasi yun, tsaka na namin gagawin yung report namin. Sipag namin noh? Ganyan talaga kami. Pasensya na. Wag kaming tularan. Haha.
So ayun, itatry naming mag-entertain ng applicant mamaya kung may lalapit samin pero kung wala, eh di uuwi nalang kami agad ni March. Marami-rami din kaming dapat aralin eh.
Baka kapag MWF 2-3pm lang ako makapagpost at makapagreblog kasi isisingit ko lang ang tumblr sa klase. Mabait akong estudyante eh. haha. Pero kapag naging mas mabait pa ko, baka sa weekend na ang susunod. For sure, panay kasawian na naman ang ipopost ko about sa exams (wag naman sana).
So yun lang, God bless! :)
September 23 will be our JPIA day. And it was announced last week. During our Midterm Week.
Sabi nila, kailangan namin ng representative for the Mr. and Ms. JPIA Image. Pumili naman kami eh, ayaw lang talaga nung pinili namin. Turuan ng turuan. Since sigawan na sa room dahil ayaw ngang umayos, di sabi namin wag nalang kaming sumali.
Tapos sa group namin sa FB yung JPIA LPU-Cavite Chapter, may nagpost na officer na disappointed sila sa freshmen lalo na sa section namin. We know they are disappointed with what we did. It’s not that we don’t want to participate, nagkaproblema lang talaga sa pagpili. Napahiya kami dun sa post na yun. Ang sakit talaga, sa totoo lang po.
Tsaka kahit na, pwede naman kaming kausapin right? Hindi yung papahiyain kami. Estudyante din sila. And they should know how it feels na mapahiya. Pressured na nga kami sa course, ipepressure pa nila kami lalo? Tanda ko pa sabi nila, pwede nila kaming tulungan kung may problema kami sa course namin. Bilang mga ate’t kuya namin sila. Eh anung nangyari? Pinahiya kami. We’re just freshmen, baguhan palang kami, nangangapa. We’re still adjusting.
You’re expecting too much from our section. Sorry, we can’t do 4 things at one time. We have our cheerdance competition, film making for Political Science, talumpati then that JPIA day. WTF?
Tapos meron pang Talentadong JPIANs na dapat 15 ang minimum na members. Srsly?! You announced it a week before! You should have announced it earlier. Para naman nakapag practice kami agad, hindi yung nagccramming kami. Wala na nga kaming pahinga eh. Kainis.
Hay. Pero tapos na. Wala na din magagawa. Bahala na sa 23. Ayoko lang talaga nung pinahiya kami. Think before saying anything.
One Heck of a Day
- We had another outing with some of my close friends from my class. We were supposed to meet up by 7.30 but ended up meeting by 9. The usual stuff, swim, laugh, kwento kwento. For the first time in, like, 2 weeks, I felt physically tired. I was sooo hungry by 6.30 in the evening so we went to the mall to eat. I ordered a big meal from Four Seasons and siomai from Master Siomai when ..
- I received a text message which hit me big time. I lost all the appetite to eat my food. :( I still ate it anyway and ended up feeling like vomiting.
- I reached home feeling all so emo, thus, this post.
- I RECEIVED A CALL from somebody who holds a position in the JPIA of a certain Local Chapter. It’s perhaps the biggest news I’ve received this month because it’s indubitably a very big opportunity. What a great way to start September! Unfortunately, I am bound by the Principle of Confidentiality as established by the Revised Code of Ethics for Professional Accountants. De, joke lang. The officer specifically instructed me not to disclose details of this news until Monday.
- Kuya Jod’s post. Very appreciative ako eh. :) Thank you ulit!
So, that was pretty much my day.
I’m excited, happy, nervous, frightened, uncertain, and most of all, thankful.