(Alpha Flight #10)
This panel is from whence comes my headcanon that JP had multiple foster homes between his second orphaning and being taken in by Raymonde, and kind of a crap homelife even with the relatives that took him in after his and Jeanne-Marie’s biological parents died.
Here’s what we know about JP’s early life:
- He and Jeanne-Marie were orphaned as infants when their parents died in automobile collision.
- The twins were split up because the Martins, cousins of their mother, could only afford to take in one child. They adopted Jean-Paul and sent Jeanne-Marie to live at Madame DuPont’s with physically and emotionally abusive nuns.
- Jean-Paul’s adopted family moved out of the area due to his father’s job with the RCMP; they fell out of touch with Madame DuPont’s and Jean-Paul never knew he had a sister.
- Jean-Paul was orphaned again at six years old due to another car crash. He went into foster care and was never adopted.
- At 12 - 14 years of age, he ran away from his foster home and met Raymonde Belmonde.
(As per usual, unless there’s some terribly awesome storytelling involved, the contributions to the canon that hit print first are considered to have precedence, except where they contradict what came before them. Hence Byrne’s canon being given the most weight and later reveals being grafted onto that framework, while Mantlo and Austen will be more or less ignored. Also, I apologize for any misrepresentation of Canada’s adoption/foster system contained herein, as I’m working off of source material that’s both fictionalized and about thirty years out of date.)
So let’s start spackling together some backstory, shall we?