A film geek's watching:Rebel Without a Cause (Rewatch)
Perhaps this film is pretty special to me as it was the first film that I was introduced to James Dean and his acting talent. So here are my thoughts when I rewatched that classic
- I actually noticed that scene when we are introduced to Jim,Judy and Plato,that they are somewhat segregated in setting wise. We can see the characters together but the windows of the police station somewhat seperate them. Perfect Mise-En-Scene!
- What struck me about this film,is that expressionist use of red. In the beginning,the monkey’s hat! Boom! Then Judy’s dress and lipstick! There one of the gang members is wearing the cardigan. It somewhat give me the signal of Jim’s mindset of breaking out from the norm. Maybe that is why that garb Dean wore was so powerful visually.
- The scene that Jim drank the milk after the bluff,was pretty symbolic to me as it reminded me of the infant’s instinct to drink from the breast (DAMN THOSE FREUDIAN PSYCHOANALYSIS). He wanted that warmth but it was not fulfilled.
- Now speaking about Freudian psychoanalysis….I read an article on the psychoanalysis of Rebel and strangely it makes awful sense. Especially that scene when Jim have to coax Plato out of the obeservaty. To Plato,the observatory have that womb-like feel and he wanted to be secluded from the adult world and Jim is like the father figure pushing the baby out…
- Another mind-blown matter on Rebel,the way Plato was played was going towards the childish act and metaphorically it shows the denial that Plato have for the adult world. On the otherhand Jim is the reverse especialy in the observatory scene where Jim acted more adult-like and the grief when he seen Plato’s body was very genuine.
- For the ending,it was pretty Mizoguchi like,as we are finally allowed to breathe and think over. I interpert it as a closure,of Jim’s constant search over the father figure but however the life of Plato was unfulfilled as he is unable to reach that adult self. (Ray do you watch Ugetsu cuz they ahve that same ending too)
- I could say that I could relate 100% especially when he screamed You are tearing me apart. I think everyone been through that stage where we all feel so misunderstood and what make that film stands the test of time. Yes the values are different but it was that feeling of wanted to be loved and accepted that makes it so amazing
- May I say I loved Dean’s red jacket look,it looks so chic that I wanted to wear it myself
Do message me for any thoughts of Rebel…I would be happy to reply on that.