The night nurse woke up Fin this morning. Great, good job. He usually sleeps until 7:30 or later but I’m sure getting up at 6 is fine. Wanna come back if and when he naps? Thanks, that would be great.
I didn’t vote the first time I was able. I will always regret that choice.
We’re picking up my niece and nephew for the weekend so my sister-in-law can meet her new boyfriend’s family. Part of me is glad, but I’m conflicted. I’m glad she’s dating again after my brother-in-law died, he’s been gone a year this month, but it’s weird. That’s all, weird. And I haven’t seen her daughter in so long, and my girls are nervous about seeing her, and I keep telling myself it’s only two nights, it’s only two nights.
Count Chocula and a fire in the wood stove this morning. I’m starting to come around to this October thing.
Handing out some Friday love to the people that have been on my mind. Hugs to you. I love you for various reasons; your hurt, your voice, your love of music, your drive, your friendship. Peace, love, be cool, stay calm and keep on rockin’ in the free world.
Tag! You’re it! The rules are to state 10 random facts about yourself. Then, go to your ten favorite blogs and tell them that they are it!
Ben Ten for Dan the Man
1. I hope my wife isn’t pregnant.
2. I worry that Fin will always be this way.
3. I tried to call my brother and he didn’t answer even though I could see his truck in my rearview mirror.
4. I think there is an unnecessary assault on the misunderstood.
5. I understand how some things work, and some things are mysteries.
6. I make bigger deals out of things than I should.
7. I find comfort in routine.
8. I learned that no one really cares what you think, but people care an awful lot about what they think.
9. I should be smarter than I am, but there’s beer.
10. I can’t stop what already is.
1. Post the rules
2. Answer all questions
3. Create ten new questions
4. Tag ten people (including the person who tagged you) to answer the questions.
1. Holiday food you’d most like to set on fire?
My grandmother makes this Jell-O cake. She’s been making the same cake for 30 Christmases, because my brother and cousin really like it. I pretend I like it. I can’t stand it. It deserves a blowtorch. I’ll miss it when she’s gone, and look back on in it fondly, and maybe even come to love it like I love her, but until then, flame city, baby.
2. A time when you were ungraceful in the receipt of a gift.
I’m awkward as ass when I receive gifts, especially now that I’m older. I understand why my dad was always so eager to move the attention off him and keep having the kids open presents. I’m the same way. Also, this is the second Christmas since my wife got me some beer brewing stuff, and I haven’t even touched it. I suck.
3. A book you can’t live without and why?
I’m pretty sure my copy of The Stand has seen the most action of anything in my collection.
4. It snows 8 inches - what do you do?
Well, cowboy, I whip it out, my ruler, and wonder when the rest is gonna fall. Then I take the kids outside and build a snowman. Then I wonder where the plow guy is hiding. Then I go inside, have some hot cocoa, and watch a movie with the family. Unless I’m working, then I go to work.
5. If your life was a song, which would it be and why?
“Skating Away On The Thin Ice Of A New Day” by Jethro Tull because of lines about being bred for humanity and sold to society and looking for a sign from the Universal Mind and feeling like the story’s too damn real and in the present tense and everyone’s on stage and you’re the only person sitting in the audience.
6. If you got the chance to sit down with President Obama, what do you talk to him about?
We’d discuss the Spurs chances this year. I’d tell him I feel bad about Derrick Rose. I’d ask him about his favorite beer. Then I’d show him a picture of my kids.
7. Favorite Christmas cookie?
I can’t have a year go by and not eat a Peanut Blossom.
8. Red or White wine.
I’m partial to red.
9. If you could spend the holidays anywhere, no expense, where would it be and why?
I’d go to Australia. I’ve always wanted to go and I’ve never had anything but a Maine Christmas, which I love, but something different would be fun for a change.
10. What literature character do you think most reflects you and why?
I’m the older brother from the Fudge novels. I don’t know if that’s literature, but I remember telling my parents in fourth grade that this book was about me. I also loved Benjy and the Power of Zingies.
1. What’s wrong with this picture?
2. Have you ever built anything with your own two hands, and if so, what, and if not, why not?
3. What if there really is a Santa Claus?
4. Don’t you wish you could breathe underwater?
5. You’re in the mall. What’s the first store you visit?
6. If you could get in a fight with one person, who would it be?
7. You’re THIS close to the edge. What pushes you over?
8. Apples or bananas?
9. Will we ever be able to time travel? Where would you go if we could?
10. If you had to carry a sign, what would it say?
I’m off to tag you. Watch your inbox in case I misspell your handle.
I most associate you with Fancyglasses because of your dry humor Julietlive because of your philosophy of life Lilytrail because of your beauty
I really like this!
However, I have to confess I originally thought that “associate with” meant whom do you most interact with on Tumblr or who are your closest friends here.
Where Did The Week Go?
Crazy times down here!
Officially closing on the house tomorrow and then the moving starts. I’m anxious (and unprepared) to begin the move!
The baseball team I help coach has made a pretty good run in the playoffs and now we’ve made it to the next round. We have won each of the last three games in the final at-bat (all playoff games). The next round starts on Saturday - the same day as our move! UGH! Gotta work hard tonight and tomorrow so that I can sneak away for the game (which is two hours away).
Too bad it’s a later game. I think I might be close enough to get a drink after the game and have a famous #Instadan photograph taken of me. One of these days!!
Snark After Action Report Pt. 2: Bullet Points
Click for Part 1
Okay, so a couple of other people I saw there that I did not mention in part 1:
- perfectlittlesin was there. She had apparently injured her knee at some point, but I was glad she made it. She’s had a rough year.
- thatchicmichelle also gave me the warmest hug the instant she saw me.
- isemancometh I had never met before that I can recall.
- goldengraham72 is as cool as the other side of the pillow (to quote Stuart Scott).
- itsmejillian and I filled out the requisite hug forms. Signed and delivered, sweetie.
Some people whose absence was noted:
- sweetheatherbee was one of the first Tumblrers (sp?) I followed. I was kinda bummed that she couldn’t make it.
- I was very disappointed to not see notyouraverageharlot and itisnotmarie there. I mean, they have lives and everything, so I understand, but I was so disappointed.
- The woman with the lobster claws (by the way, no one has been able to explain that to me, but everyone knew whom I was talking about).
So many things, stories, and memories. I could write about them for months and not cover everything that I saw, everyone I met, or the conversations that I had.
Please, if I haven’t mentioned you in this post or the post previous, please understand that there were a lot of people, a lot of things that happened, and I hope you don’t take it personally.