There is a scene in the MV where he’s sitting and he’s cutting a steak that turns red at his knife’s touch. The steak represents his heart about to be torn, the knife represents people’s words, and him (the person with the knife) represents the haters. At that moment, the lyrics say “oh please, look at me with loving eyes, don’t curse me, la la la, please accept me, please love me.”
big mess of bullet stuff on the mv
- mv starting with ‘wild and young’ balloon popping might mean that he’s gonna outdo the public that thinks he’s gonna be a nobody once he’s not wild&young anymore and continue to show amazing music even when he’s old
- him having a leash on a tiger (the most fierce animal in korean folklore) gives him a power that overwhelms even the tiger
- he’s saying ‘everything i do ensues chaos’ probs referring to the rumor that he’ll be sent to jail for his explicit show for breathe for the 1st album on 0:47 hence the background
- he’s probably referring to the pot scandal 0:51, hence the background and the guy’s motion
- he says “ee geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee” before i love it and he’s sitting on a giant G like get it ‘geeeeeeeeeeeeeee’ HAHA SO CUTE
- 1:47 when he says ‘when people try to look away from me’ he holds out a cross, probably meaning that people see him as a demon or something corrupting young minds
- he gets beat up in the boxing game of me/us/viewer vs him
- the steak thing i already mentioned
- there is a korean saying that goes “to see someone over a pair of colored-glasses’ and it means ‘to see someone with already held conviction against them.’ he’s saying that people hold grudge on him and try to judge him for whatever he does no matter what (goes back to the ‘no matter what i do, chaos ensues’ part). in the mv, the glasses are /literally/ giving the view of gd a blue, cold light.
- when he’s cutting the steak, you would expect him to fork up a piece of meat but he forks up a tomato instead smiling. this probably means ‘don’t judge me because i’m not everything you assume me to be.’
- in the beginning, the phone convo was little kids playing with cups attached to strings. now, the phone convo is him sitting in an expensive looking closet with a secretary picking his clothes out for him. he was little when he first started dreaming, but he’s still dreaming even in the midst of his success. he has not changed.
- he breaks the glass cases where the clothes are displayed—breaking down the stereotype of what should and should not be worn by whom.
- and what better way to show that you havent changed than to have your best friend of your childhood who’s running towards the same dream dance and skateboard with you on your mv? :D
Have you ever thought about how just beautiful Haru Haru is?
It’s letting go, letting her go even though you so desperately can’t and you chain yourself by ‘you can’t go after her.’ because despite that it makes you uncontrollably sad, that’s what makes her happy. you repeatedly wish her a happy goodbye, you repeatedly wish she would be happy next to that other person, you repeatedly wish that she’d forget your promise to be together always. you’re just hypnotizing yourself, over and over. you think yourself almost selfish that you keep a memory of her, hoarding her memory, but that’s the only way you can even attempt to pry yourself away from your feelings. but you just can’t forget her and your soul is crushed like the waves against the shore and although, to her, you were only a mere smoke in the air that dissipated when she left you, she is like the love itself to you and her smile is tattooed on your heart. it hurts a little less every day, or at least that’s what you’re trying to tell yourself. you force yourself to understand that she couldn’t be happy with you by her side, and you think you’re glad she left you to be happy with someone else, but at the same time your emotions scream no, you’re not glad, you’re not happy this way. you look at the sky and the clouds and and hope she’d smile like the sky and when you realize you’re thinking about her you abruptly stop, feeling guilty for thinking about her again because you don’t deserve her, not even the memory. though you can’t forget her and live in the sad miserable shadow of what once was between you, not once do you say, please come back; not once do you say, i’ll make you happy. you spend day and night letting her go, but all that’s causing is making you love her even more, and you try to erase her presence in your heart bit by bit, day by day, and though that might take a life time and you might never find another love and feel that joy and glee and happiness, you still say goodbye. because you love her that much.
4MINUTE - 'Volume Up' MV INTERPRETATION
To those who are being misleading, let me clarify each and every thing about this MV. This MV and the song served as a mockery to the society nowadays, clichés about girl groups and promoting female empowerment.
For the teaser image, there’s two. An innocent image and vampire image. The innocent image signified pure and girlish concept, which most people relied on nowadays. It’s an oppression since women have the rights and power to stand as tall as men, but showcasing a girlish image means that you’re agreeing to the stereotypes about women.
The vampire image signified trends. Such as trends in the world (Twilight, Vampire Diaries and almost every shows nowadays). It mocked each and every artists who didn’t to bring something new and instead going with the trend.
As you can see, HYUNA wore a white, revealing dress in the MV. She had a few scenes where a bunch of ladies touched her. It symbolised people nowadays, who went crazy over some womance or bromance in the KPop world. You can see that she’s smiling or giggling in some parts, and it challenged those who didn’t dare to cross the borders and be oppressed unlike her, who show extreme sexiness even though people all around the world continue to label her with offensive titles.
GAYOON symbolised being daring and bold. Hence, you can see the snake around her. She wore a crown, meaning you should be proud of yourself, and the snake symbolised those little things that you are worried or afraid of can be overcome. The part where she constantly hit her chest signified her disappointment over the world, and she yearned for more.
JIYOON is the hardest to interpret. She symbolised inner limit. Meaning what and how much one can do to impress the society. She acted all cool, wearing stunning clothes and jewellery, along with eye-catching hairstyles, but to no avail, it failed to impress or change the society, which was showcased by the guys and girls who are constantly watching her. In the end, she didn’t care about them and continue to show what she can do.
As for SOHYUN, she symbolised things that happen when an artists died. The skull reminded people of death, and she’s wearing black attire that reminded those to funeral. She also seen praying if you checked frame by frame. When someone known is dead, he or she will be forgotten from the world. The small binocular thingy symbolised people will pay attention to the death for a brief moment.
JIHYUN is the most interesting. She symbolised being constantly watched and sadness. Her part was so melancholic. It meant the pressure or being constantly under the camera or society’s eyes make her sad, and they will judge. This is shown in the part where she showed a little tango, but it was brief and people walked around her, symbolising the bashes she received.
And the song is not about moving around to the beats of music, no. It’s like their own story, how people first give attention, but then after a while, they don’t care about them and move along. They don’t give chance for them to prove themselves. Yes, it’s not your ‘OMG, you bish’ song, but it’s sung melodiously and written from a sad perspective, and the chorus reassure us that they’ll be stronger. Meaning those things people do won’t weaken them.
Yes, some of you may argue why Hyuna dominated half of the video, it’s because she received the most backlash from people. So, she’s the perfect example for this song.