Top 10 Interesting Psychology Facts
1. Cognitive Dissonance - the idea that when we hold two conflicting thoughts or beliefs, we unconsciously adjust to make one fit with the other. My social psychology professor gave an example of a student who values studying all the time, but slacks off when it comes to their favorite television show. So the student tells herself that watching the television helps her study later when it really doesn’t. However, telling herself that helped her eased the anxiety.
2. Hallucinations are common - one third of people report experiencing hallucination at some point in time. Similarly, normal people often have paranoid thoughts. So when was the last time you hallucinated?
3. The Placebo effect - this is when you think that something like a drug has an effect on you when really it doesn’t. It’s your thoughts that actually resulted in you getting better.
- We all have “intentional blindness”
Watch this and tell me if you you a victim of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJG698U2Mvo&feature=related
- You imagine objects from above and tilted and draw them in a 3d-like structure.. but you never draw them from way above looking downwards
- We piece different memories together unconsciously
- The color blue and red is hard for your eyes
This effect is called Chromostereopsis; when looking at it for a long duration of time, it fatigues our eyes
- When we are offered too many choices, we freeze! Try playing Monopoly deal, you’ll have a hard time putting deciding which card to put out!
- You make most of your decisions Unconsciously