Tumblr is where tens of millions of creative people around the world share and follow the things they love.Sign up to find more cool stuff to follow
THE BEST OF THE BEST
- The best bar the best bathroom the best bus line the best block party the best back-crack the best Brooklyn hipster haircuts the best gossip the best magazine browsing the best patriot outlaws…Does it get any better? THE VILLAGE VOICE Best of NYC http://www.villiagevoice.com
- Best Way To Find Whatever It Is That You’re Looking For: http://www.CITYSEARCH.COM helps you find bars restaurants shops and museums all the time.
- JACK’S COFFEE ‘Jack is no ordinary coffee shop’. Stir brewed coffee premium teas live music on Tuesday and Thursday night movies. ‘Great Vibe’. 138 W 10th St.
- The Village Voice has named MUD ‘The Best Coffee Empire’ giving NYC residents an alternative to the (Star-$$$’s) takeover. Look for the orange truck at Astor Place and Union Square.
- THE HUNGARIAN PASTRY SHOP - A heavenly view of The Cathedral of Saint John the Divine. Amsterdam & 109th Street.
- THE CUPCAKE CAFE is close to Broadway and the fabulous 42nd Street area where there are movies arcade games and a wonderful cluster of import shops. It is just behind the New York New Jersey Port Authority in an area where you might not think to
stroll. Located at 522 9th Avenue on the corner of 39th Street the nearby highway leads to the Lincoln Tunnel.
- HOUSING WORKS USED BOOKS AND CAFE-‘Soho’s Best kept secret’- 126 Crosby Street NYC 10012.
HAVE MORE FUN
- ST. ANN’S WAREHOUSE - Aritists audiences volunteers creative freedom and some of the best perfomances in the outward bound of entertainment. 38 Water Street Dumbobrooklyn.
- GALAPAGOS ‘may be the only public place in town where (while imbibing) you can hear a reading of Shakespeare’s Tempest shimmy to live Cuban music and see trapeze artists all in the same month.’ 70 North 6th St. (Williamsburg/ Greenpoint) Between Wythe and Kent Aves. Take L train to Brooklyn 718-782-5188
- POETRY SLAM With poetry or prose untried and unstoppable writers gain stage worthy experience. NUYORICAN POETS CAFE - 236 E 3rd between B & C (212) 505-8183
- THE BOWERY POETRY CLUB - 308 Foot of First Street between Houston & Bleecker
- FILM FORUM- 209 W. HOUSTON ST. N.Y. NY 10014 BOX OFFICE: (212) 727-8110 New York’s leading movie house for independent premieres and repertory programming — The Film Forum presents independent filmmakers international collections complete retrospectives of worthy filmmakers silent films and mini-festivals.
- LEISURE TIME BOWLING CENTER AND COCKTAIL LOUNGE AT THE PORT AUTHORITY - Between Eighth and Ninth Ave from 40th to 42nd Streets 268-6909 Electronic scoring! Lotsa Lanes.
- THE MERMAID PARADE -is a completely original creation that is the nation’s largest art parade and one of New York City’s greatest summer events located on CONEY ISLAND where streets buildings public beach and boardwalk may be a bit down at the heels but it remains a one-of-a-kind destination. Vicinity of Surf Avenue & West 15th Street Brooklyn NY http://www.coneyisland.com
- The STORY BOOTH is a soundproof environment where you can record your story or the stories of your loved ones located between Track 13 and 14 of Grand Central Terminal.
- THE LIVING ROOM —The indie best for accoustic folk country pop rock and soul—154 Ludlow Street NYC (between Stanton and Rivington)
- WNYC National Public Radio 820-AM
- WFMU College Free Form 91.1- FM
- WFUV-FM Adult Alternative 90.7
PEOPLE ARE HAPPIER WHEN THEY ARE LEARNING
- WARD STUDIO- a coveted acting studio in the Miesner Approach. Offering summer sabbaticals for the corporate professional and intensive acting training for the serious minded actor. 145 West 28th St. Ny Ny 212-239-1456 http://www.wardstudio.com
- DANCE THEATRE WORKSHOP @ 219 West 19th St. is about supporting and advancing the work of artists - constantly evolving to sustain artists at every stage of their development. They provide a wide range of administrative promotional and technical services to the community of independent artists in New York across the country and around the world.
- THE INSTITUTE OF CULINARY EDUCATION was named “Avocational Cooking School of the Year” by the International Association of Culinary Professionals. ICE has three divisions: Recreational Career and Special Events: 50 West 23rd Street between 5th and 6th Avenues [http://www.iceculinary.com]
- ANNE BOGART AND SITI TRAINING — Disinct challenging and innovative methods of actor training. Viewpoints & Suzuki Master Classes- Guest Artist Series Drop-in Classes. http://www.siti.org
- CRUSH WINE CO. -153 E. 57th St. offers a quick wine tasting primer for $50.
GREAT PUBLIC SPACES
- PALEY PARK @ 53rd Street between Madison and Fifth Avenues. Located within Midtown’s cultural district and surrounded by high-rises this celebrated “vest-pocket” park is a welcome respite from the sights and sounds of urban living.
- NY PUBLIC LIBRARY @ 42nd street and Madison boasts a gorgeous reading room that would make anyone feel like royalty - indeed it rivals the ballrooms of European palaces. But out in front along the street is where this illustrious institution truly connects with the city around it. A series of well-linked spaces - steps plazas little nooks and pathways - provide innumerable places for sitting meeting eating and chatting.
- BRYANT PARK a green and sensual urban oasis including “Seventh on Sixth” fashion shows; the JVC Jazz Festival; the “New York Times Young Performers Series”; lunchtime concerts by Juilliard students; Monday night movies in the summer; the Kaleidoscope Circus; boules and chess games.
- HUA MEI BIRD GARDEN Community garden that hosts daily early-morning gatherings of Chinese men who bring beautiful songbirds in fancy bamboo cages. Sara Delano Roosevelt Park. Lower East Side New York NY
- GRAND CENTRAL TERMINAL— One of the most well known and impressive indoor public spaces in the country Grand Central Terminal provides an unparalleled experience to over half a million people every day. Park Avenue and 42nd Street New York City NY
- METROPOLITIAN MUSEUM STEPS - The grand granite steps leading to The Metropolitan Museum of Art are a destination themselves: a place to meet eat talk and watch both people and Fifth Avenue traffic. Fifth Avenue from 80th - 84th Streets New York NY
IN PRAISE OF THE LOCAL BOOKSTORE
— Owning a bookstore is a labor of love and the financial rewards are slender. Independently owned businesses like bookstores or drugstores or hardware stores help define a community.
- ” Oh joy! Oh Rapture!” COLISEUM BOOKS— WELCOME BACK!! 11 W. 42nd Street New York NY Phone: (212) 803-5890. Across the street from BRYANT PARK
- LABYRINTH BOOKS - 536 West 112th Street for university presses.
- ST. MARKS BOOKS - 31 Third Avenue for a wide selection of all books.
- THREE LIVES AND CO 154 West 10th Street for fiction.
- THE DRAMA BOOK SHOP—Drama Books is one of the largest book stores specializing in theatre related material. 250 W. 40th St Phone: (212) 944-0595
SMALL BUSINESSES MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE
- A beautifully made hat is a headturner. BARBAR FEINMAN MILLINERY- 66 East 7th Street NY NY 212-358-7092.
- Wahoo! Elisa Miller knows how to throw a class act Swank! SOMEDAY PRODUCTIONS handles all aspects of party and event planning— 347-432-8949 [http://www.somedayproductions.com]
- GO YOGA Located in the heart of Williamsburg Brooklyn. A small friendly Yoga Center offering a variety of classes all day - every day. Go Yoga is located within the Girdle factory at: 218 Bedford Avenue Brooklyn NY. 718.486.5602 [http://www.goyoga.com]
TO MARKET WE GO
- GREENMARKET FARMERS MARKET a program of the Council on the Environment of NYC promoting regional agriculture and ensures a continuing supply of fresh local produce for New Yorkers. Comprehensive regulations govern what may be sold at a Greenmarket. With few exceptions all items must be grown raised foraged caught or otherwise produced by the seller. http://www.cenyc.org
- CHELSEA MARKET includes The Juice Factory Amy’s Bread Chelsea Wholesale Flower Market Fat Witch Chelsea Wine Vault Hale and Hearty Soups and lots more…. Eat browse and leisurely stroll. 75 9th Avenue New York NY 10011
- UNION SQUARE PARK AND GREEN MARKET- Three-square-block urban park that hosts a year-round open-air farmers market four times a week. 14th Street and Broadway New York NY
Article Source: ezinearticles.com
Relate Tag : hipster haircuts,hipster hairstyles,hipster haircuts men,long hipster haircuts,hipster haircut pictures
Hipster haircuts for men trends
The hipster haircuts has gone through a continuous revolution in its phase and the variation is quite widespread. Basically the men hipster variation consists of shaggy hair cut, curly hair cut and gent hair cut out of which gent haircuts is the most famous among men - more then shaggy and curly hipster haircuts.
Here are some great extra photos with examples of hipster haircuts photos!
The maintenance part of the gent hair cut is high but the messy hair texture of the look is the highest in demand among the men which succeeds with shaggy hair cut which mainly deals with the mid section turn around with messy one which can done with just messing the hair style in mid section freestyle and then goes the curly hipster haircut which is used in rare cases.
The women counterpart is spoiled by choices and the variation is of long list as the lower long hair styling is dazzled by the customized styling which can be done in numerous ways even short hipster hair cut in women segment has numerous choices of hair styling at its best.
I’ll probably get mass unfollowing for saying this but I honestly think that one haircut where you shave off everything except for the very top and then kind of grow out the hair around it but don’t do anything more interesting than that is like the white man’s Fresh Prince of Bel-Air stovepipe.
For those of you unfamiliar with an Emo hairstyle this is simply a haircut based upon emo which is often compared to punk or Indie rock. It has had a varying definition but this is a good start to the article. The hairstyles came from here and often could be considered as a result of the social scene that grew out of the punk or indie rock music.
Emo hairstyles can mean different things for different people. When you look at the different ways of emo hairstyles it is whatever will be most comfortable for those sporting the actual hairstyle. People who do not know about the emo hairstyle will not completely understand what is happening with this hairstyle.
Emo boys often may have more black than emo girls within their hairstyle. The hairstyle often will involve black hair surrounded by plumes of brightly colored hair.
No matter boy or girl when you are looking to have a good Emo hairstyle you must take care of your hair. That is essential. Brushing your hair often can help in removing dirt and grime. Shampooing the hair once every other day will help keep the hair clean while not stripping the hair of essential nutrients from overly washing it.
The right Emo hairstyle does not depend upon what others say but how you feel about your hair. Emo boys and Emo girls will decide the colors they want to
use because it is a hairstyle that is meant to represent that person’s individuality. This lets people choose what they feel is best for them.
Article Source: ezinearticles.com
Relate Tag : indie haircut,indie hippie style,indie haircuts for guys,indie haircuts men,hipster haircuts
Manchester UK was dubbed Mad-chester in the 1990’s at the peak of the indie and rave scene that was encapsulated by a particular haircut baggy trousers and the Hacienda club. Although Manchester is still in touch with that legacy and such haircuts can still be spotted it actually offers a lot more variety of live music. White boy bands sometimes with a female lead singer may still be prevalent statistically but there is so much more going on too for the more experimentally minded music listeners and gig- goers looking for creative music and independent music that may be a bit different.
Experimental independent and creative music can be found in the more elite venues as well as the smaller under the radar spots. High class venues such as Bridgewater Hall and Lowry Theatre host all sorts of contemporary classical and independent pop acts. And it does not always have to cost an arm and a leg. The Bridgwater Hall have free lunchtime concerts in their foyer which still has better acoustics than many venues in the city. And at RNCM (Royal Northern College of Music) you can often find a free concert by students experimenting beyond their more traditional repertoire.
Of course the Apollo has some great bands and artists stopping by on their national tours such as the experimental and popular female solo artist Bjork and Bristolian trip-hop bands Massive Attack and Portishead. And even at the Opera House Antony and
the Johnson’s have played while female solo artist Joanna Newsom delivered a sublime performance at the Palace Theatre. The newly refurbished Band on the Wall provides gigs in Manchester playing host to many more international acts too such as Fela Kuti and Kid Creole and the Coconuts while also being home to a regular monthly night by local Mancunian wonky funk maestro Mr Scruff. With it’s brand new sound system and lush new grand piano the sound quality feels fresh and new too.
More modest venues include the sadly now closing Green Room which has been a hub of experimental theatre creative music and spoken word for over 20 years in the city. Apart from that we have Kraak Gallery and the Coffee Pot putting on interesting events performances and gigs in Manchester’s Northern Quarter. And Fuel Bar and Cafe in Withington often has local talents making independent music as well as touring independent acts. The monthly improvisation night called “The Noise Upstairs” is experimental music in action with an open mic approach to musical improvisational performance by some of those present. Night and Day cafe more reknown for gigs in Manchester sometimes have a more experimental band or artist passing through too.
Like any large city there are many gems to be discovered by just exploring and asking people for recommendations when you are in town. I hope some of these suggestions may be of use.
Article Source: ezinearticles.com
Relate Tag : indie haircuts,indie haircuts for guys,indie haircuts men,hipster haircuts,indie style haircuts