Well, when you own 90% of the world’s GMO food supply, paying off the media isn’t a problem, one guesses. Especially when you’re getting in position to own the rest of the 10% you don’t control yet.
It’s small potatoes compared to buying the government, for instance, as we saw inMonsanto’s power-jockeyingover the USDA. And—how “odd” is this?—the very same week that Monsanto makes its move with the USDA, the Obama administration ispushing out Kathleen Merrigan, the USDA’s deputy secretary—the administration’s biggest and most powerful supporter of local and organic food. Her departure was described as “abrupt,” and could lead to “the end of local food at USDA.” How… strange.
But pocketing the government and public opinion are minor efforts compared to the even bigger battle Monsanto won today:Reuters reports that Monsanto has settledwith its main competitor, DuPont, over GMO seed technology, and that the two behemoths are now planning collaboration (with Monsanto driving). DuPont will now be allowed to produce Monsanto’s seeds, and have to pay royalty payments to do so; their stock dropped while Monsanto’s rose.
If you don’t know about Monsanto, you should do some research. Hands down, the scariest shit on earth. I have nightmares about their terminator seeds wiping out the world’s natural resources and causing an ecological apocalypse. And it looks like they’re coming closer and closer to their goal of controlling the entire world’s food production. This isn’t tinfoil hat shit, this is very, very fucking real.