10 Great Gifts for your Budding Photographer
I know this is categorically dorky but I can’t tell you how exciting it is when you have an interest in photography and get a new toy to play with. Over the years I’ve seen and done it all and these are 10 of my favorite fun photography gifts to date! Perhaps perfect for that someone who also likes capturing life through a lens this holiday season….
1. LomoKino 35mm film Movie Maker- you know, like how your grandparents made home movies but with 35mm film (much easier to buy & process)
2. Handy Dandy Hand Strap - because neck straps are not boss.
3. Lensbaby - because it makes the world a dreamy place.
4. IMPOSSIBLE - anything from the Impossible Project! Find an old camera, pick up a couple packs of film and photography goes back to one of those magical & innocent times.
5. Fuji Instax 210 - Because sometimes you want to point & shoot, watch it appear, then pass it around.
6. ONA Camera Bag - Chic. That is all.
7. 50mm Lens - If I could shoot with only one lens, a 50mm would be it.
Happy Holidays from my camera to yours!
10 Beauty Products for your Retro Diva
You know my affinity for all things vintage and classic… well here are the 10 beauty products I use everyday to transport myself to a world of silver screen gents and sparkling lights…
If your girl is anything like me these will be home runs!
2. Flawless skin! Inspired by old Hollywood movie stars, I even out my skin tone with MAC Studio Fix Fluid.
3. Let Secrets be Secrets. Laura Mercier’s Secret Camouflage for under eyes and little “problems”… for extra umpth I use the light side as a highlighter on the top of my cheek bones, eye brow bones, down the bridge of my nose and center of the chin for some photo-perfect contouring.
4. Power Puff. I finish out the contouring by using this MAC Blot Powder (I use the tone “Dark”) on my cheek bones, creases of my eyes, down the sides of my nose and under my jaw line.
5. Apple Cheeks! Right in the apple of my cheeks and give it a nice healthy pop of red with this NARS Powder Blush in Exhibit A, makes you look like a doll!
7. All about Eyes. I keep it simple, Le Métier de Beauté in Sugar all over and Tamarack in the crease and at the lash line. For night time I do an extra application of Tamarack for very hooded eyes… ooo la la
8. Play ‘em up. Mascara, mascara, mascara… I love mascara! I do lots of coats of MAC False Lashes mascara which I love because it makes big glossy lashes that don’t smudge around the eyes yet washes off at night easily.
9. Flirty Eyes. This is where it gets good. It doesn’t take much, just 5 to 7 flares per eye to fill it in but it makes all the difference especially in photographs! I do this almost every single day.
Step by Step:
- Squeeze a TINY drop of Duo Eyelash adhesive (I use dark tone and prefer Duo as it does not damage your natural lashes and washes off easily)
- Using tweezers pull 1 flare and lightly dip the base end in the glue.
- With the tweezers holding the flared end set them on top of your eye lashes as close to the base as possible but not on the eyelid.
- Repeat as much as you like!
- Let dry for 5mins or so then apply a final layer of mascara then gently pinch the false lashes to your real ones to give a seamless illusion.
- Bat those babies and break hearts.
10. Paint it RED. What is a retro diva without red lips?! This is my go-to, all time favorite combo. Start on the outside of lips with Cargo Reverse Lip Liner (I use “light”), draw the shape and fill in the lips lightly with MAC Lip Liner in SPICE, Then top it off for show with MAC lipstick in LADY DANGER. VOILA!
10 Great Gifts for the Man in your Life
Guys are hard to shop for right?! That’s why this list is curated with his help! I can tell you, I live with most of these dude things around me so they are From Me To You approved and even at times borrowed because I like them myself!
Here we go:
1. Brompton - Guys love transformers and this is that in real life. A bike perfect for a city dweller meaning you never have to leave it chained up outside to inevitably be stolen. #HardFacts
The best place to buy it from in the US! NYCeWheels.
2. Rare Beer Club - Make your beer guy happy at least once a month. This beer club (I mean, can’t you already hear the men grunting) will send your guy 2 rare beers a month… hopefully he will share.
3. Pro-Ject Debut III - the simplest record player on the planet (from a woman’s perspective) but men love it…. at least mine does.
4. Of a Kind - Falling line tie bar by Nikolai Rose, make him your modern day Don Draper. Enough said.
5. EVRT - City Towel - some men like to cook and these are designed smartly by a man who does. OR perhaps if he doesn’t stir the pot then having cool kitchen towels will get him in there with you….
8. Echo - Echo Touch Gloves because men love gadgets and this way they can look up directions to dinner in the cold while on a date with you :)
9. Marshall Minor - Earphones guys love because they are “comfortable, sound great and easy on the drums… of the ears that is”.
10. Restoration Hardware - Artisan Leather Laptop Sleeve. Makes him look like money.
I’d love to hear what your guy’s favorite gifts are!…
Now let’s get back to shopping for the girls.