Tumblr is where tens of millions of creative people around the world share and follow the things they love.Sign up to find more cool stuff to follow
Things that are not okay to say to a trans* person
- : "I know you don't really go by it, but I'm going to still call you [birth name] because that's what I'm used to. Sorry"
- : "don't be mad, but I don't think I'll ever be able to view you as a [gender] to be honest. Sorry'
- : "I just don't feel comfortable using that name/those pronouns with you...you know?"
- : "don't worry, I told them you were transgender"
- Cis Guy: Do you have a dick?
- Trans Guy: Do YOU have a dick?
- Cis Guy: *sputters*
- Trans Guy: Is it circumcised? How long is it? How big are your balls?
- Cis Guy: But-
- Trans Guy: No really! Do you have a dick? Have you named it?
- Cis Guy: I-
- Trans Guy: Are you a Real Man?
- Cis Guy: umm...
- Random Girl: You're being really rude! -to trans guy-
- Trans Guy: Yes I know. -to Cis Guy- How does it feel?
I think I’ve left my packers on display so many times already that there is no point in keeping them in private places in my room. in fact, I should probably get a glass display cabinet for them in the living room and just embrace the fact that the whole household has seen my dick in random spots that aren’t my trousers.
From the APA regarding the switch to Gender Dysphoria: An outline of the condition
Characteristics of the Condition
For a person to be diagnosed with gender dysphoria, there must be a marked difference between the individual’s expressed/experienced gender and the gender others would assign him or her, and it must continue for at least six months. In children, the desire to be of the other gender must be present and verbalized. This condition causes clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.
Gender dysphoria is manifested in a variety of ways, including strong desires to be treated as the other gender or to be rid of one’s sex characteristics, or a strong conviction that one has feelings and reactions typical of the other gender.
The DSM-5 diagnosis adds a post-transition specifier for people who are living full-time as the desired gender (with or without legal sanction of the gender change). This ensures treatment access for individuals who continue to undergo hormone therapy, related surgery, or psychotherapy or counseling to support their gender transition.
Gender dysphoria will have its own chapter in DSM-5 and will be separated from Sexual Dysfunctions and Paraphilic Disorders.
(Do a CTRL + F and search “Gender Dysphoria” to download the full PDF.)
‘stop policing trans*** idenities!’ may as well be ‘stop policing depressed/obsessive compulsive/diabetic identities! i can be ill if i say that i am!’
yeah totally not horrifyingly trivializing of a serious problem. And anyine who speaks up to say that they are hurt by this is called a bully, ridiculed and dismissed. Thank you so much tumblr