“Islamophobia is first and foremost state racism. […] Such racism has no purpose other than to maintain a population in a subaltern state.”—
To understand the rise of Islamophobia, it is necessary to analyze the current context. We are in a situation of global economic crisis and a the decline of the European identity in the face of emerging countries such as China, India, etc.
The white European identity that dominated the world for 500 years is in decline. The voices – often hysterical – raised in the media against Islam fundamentally express a fear of this decline. How to explain this irrational fear? Whites are losing their historical centrality, their Triple A rating so to speak, and they see all these non-Whites, wrongly identified with Islam, as a threat to their identity. After dominating for centuries, they are figuring out that, like them, others want to live, assert themselves and transform the order established by racism and colonialism, which necessarily signifies for them a loss of power and the privileges that come with it. Those who rightly fight this order to claim their rights and their full place, who fight discrimination, are thus seen as invaders.
Indigenous resistance is perceived as terrifying, illegitimate and abusive even though what people are asking for in immigrant communities and popular neighbournoods is, above all, equality of treatment and of rights. While such demands do not seem outrageous to me, they clearly do for those who fight to preserve their status and privilege while exerting pressure to keep “the Muslims” in a subaltern position…
muslim women, i need your help
for all of you who can, I am hoping that you can show your support by taking photos of yourself holding a sign or a banner that supports the muslim women facing these hate crimes and condemning the oppressors that continually justify their hatred.
- how? you can take a picture with a group of friends, by yourself, or whomsoever you’d like.
- what should the sign say? It can say something like, “we support our sisters in France from [insert where you’re from here]” or also like, “stop islamophobia in france!” be creative. be smart. be assertive.
- where will these pictures be posted? for now, on my personal blog (this one, and count on people reblogging them). they may also appear on facebook, instagram, and twitter. if you are uncomfortable with that, please do not participate in this.
- how can we send you the pictures? TAG ME on tumblr (#thalamtnafsee).
- how can i help if i dont want to submit a photo? reblog this (signalboosting) so that your friend who may want to help can.
i am hoping to get public media attention from this. I actually know a few journalists from NBC and my journalism professor from school. I will try to get in contact with them now. we need more media on these hate crimes!