I’ve worked in the food industry now for about 8 years and have served, hosted, bussed, and cooked. After all that time I have found several crazy coincidences do be all to true. These are only a few and for those who may disagree with them… I have tested them now several times, it’s quite surprising.
1. If you say “mam” to a female guest, the male in the group will answer and if you say “sir” to a male guest, the female in the group will answer.
This is a very odd, but very true. Often I have said “Thank you mam” to a couple and the husband has answered. Not sure the psychology behind this one, but I’m not touching it.
2. Minorities will always request special seating if you have it. Whether it be a large booth meant for 7 for only 2 of them or a table near your fireplace, even though that area has yet to be bussed.
This sounds racist, but its very true. The number of times is countless and while it doesn’t happen all the time, its definitely enough that it had to be mentioned.
3. The best tippers are old couples.
The lowest tip I have ever got from an old couple is 2 dollars. The highest was 120 dollars for a 250 dollar meal. For those that hate math… that’s a 48% tip. The average tip of where I live is 15%… so yah.
4. The worst tippers are young groups of female teenagers between 13 to 18.
I can only imagine the thought process most of these kids have. “Zero tip sounds good!” “How much is 15% of 25.75? Forget it! I’ll just put 2 dollars and 3 pennies on the table.”
5. The best time to come in to any restaurant is right when it opens.
Everything is freshly made and is the right temperature. The bacon comes right out of the oven, the cake is just topped with whip cream, and the ingredients are freshly cut and seasoned.
6. The worst people you will serve are moms with their kids and her mom.
Nothing in that meal will be perfect, the food will be cold even when you can see the steam, and the grandmother will judge you… and not silently either.
7. The best people you will serve are a group of guys who are on their lunch break.
These guys tip really well, have the best stories, and won’t care if you got them the wrong drink, because they will drink it anyway. Sorry ladies, but while most of you are awesome, the guys win out in how often this happens.
Also, salads are an appetizer… not a main course.
8. Some people will get the weirdest meals ever.
Like I mentioned above, people will order the weirdest meals ever and customize it ridiculously. A burger with pickles is normal, but a burger without a bun is weird. Yes, we serve octopus… no we won’t serve it to you alive (this has actually been requested).
9. Even if you complain to a manager or write a scathing review on whatever site you choose… most restaurants will ignore it.
Its amazing how everyone thinks they are respected food reviewer or health inspector. I had one woman one day ask to see a manager, my manager spoke with her for about 1 hour before he apologized and left the table. When my manager walked up to talk to me, he immediately whispered “She’s !@#$% crazy. Just smile and nod when you go back to her.” Most managers and servers don’t want your advice. They care about professional reviews and not that your food was 2 minutes late.
10. People are gross.
Babies throw food on the ground, kids don’t use utensils, teenagers combine their food, and adults have every possible condiment, sauce, and napkin scattered on their table. The number of cups and napkins shoved into large pools of ketchup is ridiculous. This is probably the simplest, because its the most true of the ten. The average time I spent cleaning tables was roughly 10 minutes per table. 7 of those minutes devoted mainly to picking everything off the floor and getting the table ready to be wiped down. This is true in both 5 star restaurants and places like Applebee’s.