Sci Fi Dystopian story idea
Been playing around with an idea for a Sci Fi Dystopian story. Here’s the premise:
There’s a fictional world in which most of the species fits into one of two types, the “life givers” and the “non life givers.” The life givers are actually able to grow new life forms inside their body. The non life givers, or NLGs, have a small role in to play in the initial inception of the new life forms, but the life givers, LGs, turn their bodies into hosts for the new life form for almost a year, and use a considerable amount of their strength to nurture and grow the new life.
But, instead of revering the power of the LGs, the NLGs try to control and repress the LGs. There are committees and panels made up of primarily NLGs to decide the fate of the LGs. Despite the immense power the LGs posess in their bodies, or perhaps, because of it, the NLGs make laws that take away the LGs’ control of their own bodies. They dictate that the LGs have little or no say in when they create life, and they are not free to use their powerful bodies however they choose, but should instead adhere to a code established by NLGs.
Then, I guess, the LGs rise up and over power the NLGs to take control of their own bodies and lives, but I’m not sure. How do you think it should end?
Things that I find gross and sexist about marriage
- When the dude asks team brides father for her hand in marriage
- When the father gives the bride away
- When the bride is supposed to take the husband’s last name
Also a bonus points for things I find gross and sexist about proposals
- When a guy tries to pressure his partner into saying yes by proposing very publicly and then she is vilified and he receives sympathy if she says no
If you think abortion “murders babies”, but that abortion in the case of rape is acceptable, then guess what? You are a fucking nasty human being.
Because a fetus that is the result of rape is demonstrably and biologically no different than the fetus that results from consensual sex. If one if a baby, then so is the other.
So it boils down to this: If you differentiate between the two, then you are using pregnancy as a tool to punish women for having consensual sex. And that is sick.
Participation grades are, in effect, inherently sexist, as well as ableist.
Teachers, first off, favor boys speaking in the classroom, even ones who think they do a good job of classroom equality.
- teachers are more likely to call on boys and then go on to reinforce, praise and encourage them. When a boy gives a wrong answer, a teacher will spend time to help him reason out the correct answer. However, when a girl answers, a teacher is likely to either respond with a bland “okay” to her right answer or simply to move on to another student if her answer is incorrect.
- Boys are eight times more likely to call out in class without raising their hands and tend to dominate discussions. Boys are twice often used as role models in class and five times more apt to get a teacher’s attention when they raise their hands to recite. Boys often recite even if they have not done the day’s homework, whereas even well prepared girls hesitate to participate. The older girls get, the more they let boys take over the class.
- Teachers learn boys’ names more quickly.
- An underlying theme of coeducational schools is that if only boys would work harder and behave better, they’d get better grades. The underlying message for girls is “You are nice and well behaved, and you work hard, but you’re not very smart.”
This is not even considering students who suffer from social anxiety or autism, or who are maybe even just introverted. This is generally an ableist phenomenon. Besides, anxiety mostly affects—wait for it—women. Women are twice as likely to have anxiety than men are.
Classrooms need radical change. Learning gender roles begins during childhood, and what are we teaching children? That boys get to talk, and girls get to submit to them.
I am really frustrated with some aspects of the body positive movement right now.
The body positive movement should not be about reinforcing the tired old foolishness that women come in only two body types: thin and curvy. Some women are neither. Some women are both. And guess what? We all have our own bullshit to deal with.
The body positive movement should not be about telling women of color, LGBTQ women, disabled women, older women, poor women, and so forth and so on that their concerns are unimportant or invalid because they’re not about size. That’s ridiculous.
The body positive movement should not be about forcing women who are affected by more than one of these issues to choose which matters most to them on any given day. Why? Because Intersectionality. Have you heard of it?
It is absurd that I have at least one email in my inbox each day from someone telling me that I have no idea what it’s like to be marginalized, discriminated against, or mistreated because I’m thinner than them.I’m aware that I benefit from size privilege; that’s not what this post about it. Size privilege is B.S. and it needs to stop, and I want to be a part of that.
But can you please avoid building your movement on the backs of other oppressed groups? Can you please avoid reinforcing the societal messaging that women of color don’t matter, that disabled women don’t matter, that older women don’t matter, that LGBTQ women don’t matter, and that poor women don’t matter? Could you please stop that?
A feminist movement that sacrifices other women and views them as expendable isn’t a feminist movement at all. I don’t know what you would call it, but definitely not that.
“Can someone tell me whether we're supposed to be offended by Johnny Depp's portrayal of Tonto or not? Must know for dinner parties/twitter.”—
Yeah, she actually asked that on Twitter. Next time I see a fauxminist site peddling her series because “OMG WE NEED MORE WOMEN ON TV”, I’m going to go be the Hulk to their sorry Loki. There is nothing worth defending in her or her products at this stage. And if I am supposed to consume her flavor of shit because it’s about women, well, I’d rather die of starvation.