New Demonstration In London Against Rising University Fees ! http://newish.info/205904-new-demonstration-in-london-against-rising-university-fees
4 Ways the Poor Get Screwed That Everyone Takes for Granted
Most pecuniary transactions are infused with economies of scale benefits. If you have x amount in your bank acct, checking is free, etc.
However these incentives are enabled by those with lower than x amount in their accts, who get charged more.
The auteur of this article does a great job of showing how people in the lower middle class still rife on the backs of the lower castes, who’s excessive fees comprise the majority of income for the big corporations and even cities.
Not the example of ATM’s. If you have a bank acct with X amount you generally don’t pay fees for atm use, or they are capped at 1.75 or two dollars. However now with ATM’s spitting out 5-10 dollar denominations, the same flat fee of 2 dollars is exponentially higher percentage-wise, thus taking advantage of people in a pinch with less access to money.
How PayPal Fees Work
I’ve dealt a lot of PayPal, at work and at home. And I know people use it as a means of being paid for commissions, etc. Know your stuff to avoid those dreaded fees. (This is just as much of a reference for me!)
Let’s Break it Down:
- Sending a payment as a “Personal Gift” has no fees ONLY if the money is coming from a bank account or PayPal balance. There IS a fee for debit/credit card transactions, even if it’s a “Gift”.
- The basic fee is $0.30 plus 2.9% of the amount. (So, $20 would be a $0.59 fee)
- There is a fee for international payments and, usually, currency conversions.
- The SENDER usually gets to decide who pays the fee (aka, they pass the burden onto the receiver, most likely)
- There are three types of PP accounts: Personal, Premier, and Business (and Student?). No account type has a monthly fee.
- You need a Premier Account to accept debit or credit card payments. Business accounts are for, well, businesses, and allow you to use more advanced e-commerce features on your website, etc. (aka, you don’t need one of those)
- If you use your PayPal account to request money from someone, you’ll be charged a fee when you receive the payment (seemingly regardless of what method the invoice was paid). Invoicing is great, but this is a surefire way to get hit by fees… Be sure to calculate them in if you do.
Basically, you want your commissioner to Send You Money with a bank account as a Personal Gift. If your commissioner is paying via card OR you’re invoicing them, try to factor in the fees. Ask ahead of time how they will be paying for their item and tell them they are responsible for fees, and that you encourage them to sign up for a Verified Paypal account connected to a bank account. (That’s all I got to suggest about dealing with commissioners!)
(dated 1/21/13 in case fees change)
4 Ways the Poor Get Screwed That Everyone Takes for Granted http://mys.tc/1ex fees finance income taxes ows banks
What Is the True Cost of Owning a Vehicle?
Gaining control over your finances and saving money is on everyone’s mind these days. Now is a good time to evaluate the true cost of owning a vehicle, which will help you make better decisions when buying a car or truck. Most families need at least one vehicle, and many require a second or third to make their schedule work. Buying an affordable car or truck is easier when you understand how to figure out the overall price tag.
There are five major costs to consider in this calculation:
* Depreciation - as your vehicle gets older, the resale value will decrease.
* Fuel - perhaps the most important consideration when buying a new car, gas mileage has an enormous effect on the overall cost of owning a vehicle.
* Repairs and maintenance - this amount depends heavily on the age and quality of the car or truck, but every vehicle will need a certain amount of repairs and maintenance.
* Insurance - this cost also depends on the age, make and model of the vehicle, as well as your driving record.
* State fees - a small amount, but still unavoidable since every vehicle and driver will need to be registered and licensed.
How this Calculation Helps
Spend some time evaluating the true costs as outlined above. You can then use those figures to accurately compare different makes and models, or to help you decide whether a new or used vehicle is best.
Always purchase a vehicle that will fit into your budget as well as offering reliability, safety and an enjoyable drive. Whether you are getting your first car or your fifteenth, figuring out the true cost of owning a vehicle is a helpful way to make the best decision.
My mom sent me some things that I needed that I can’t get here, so British Customs charged me 34£!!!
For real, on the phone with a customs agent.
I hate when I do that, but I was so upset and frustrated I couldn’t help it.
They said I can dispute it and not pick up the package, but who knows when I’ll get it then. Or I could do nothing and they’d send it back to my mom in a month, or I could pay and try to dispute it later to get “maybe some” money refunded. So I paid it… after having a meltdown on the phone ;p
Now to figure out the dispute form…
Rrrrrrreeeealllllyyyyy NOT happy right now.
James Lawton: It may be legal, but should managers earn sell-on fees?
It is no part of the charge against Harry Redknapp that he had an arrangement with his former club Portsmouth granting him percentage payments on any transfer fees received for players he had signed and helped to develop to the point of profit. Such deals between managers, and directors of football, and their clubs are […] http://dlvr.it/174yHJ
What’s this ATM fee surcharge and foreign transaction fee business when using my debit card abroad?
I’ve never been much for carrying cash. I mostly charge everything because, frankly, I like earning those rewards points…for that RTW trip I hope to take one day, but cash is king in South America. That said, I needed to sort this out because my current banks (Wells Fargo, TD Bank) would have me drowning in fees.
MYTH: Massage is too expensive
The prices can vary depending on the clinic offering massage therapy. Most insurance companies cover massage therapy. Furthermore, therapy can be done in 30 minute, 45 minute, 60 minute and 90 minute segments.
The Registered Massage Therapists’ Association of Ontario (RMTAO) describes the use of massage therapy fees on their webpage:
NLMTA. (n.d.). Myths about massage therapy. Retrieved from http://www.nlmta.ca/myth/