- Fantasy novelist: Alright, time to create my fantasy world. Great thing about this genre is that I can make it anything I want. Could be based on any culture in any place from any time. Could be a mix of places and times, or something newly invented by me. Yup, there is literally nothing out of bounds here.
- Fantasy novelist: I'm gonna go with medieval England.
Fantasy World Maps
Anonymous asked: Do you have any advice for someone who is trying to build a fantasy world map?
A map, you say? Well, here’s this article on city design by Jon Roberts of Fantastic Maps. Here’s another from him on how to design a town and another on worldbuilding using maps. That last one might be the most useful to you.
Here are a few more how-tos on fantasy map-making:
- GHMaps: Making Fantasy Maps
- Fantasy-Faction: Mapmaking for Fantasy Authors
- R.L. Meyers: How to Create Your Own Fantasy World Map
- StormTheCastle: Map Making for Fantasy Writers
- eHow: How to Make & Design Fantasy Maps
- HubPages: Drawing a Fantasy Map for Your Novel or Short Story
Want more? Here are some articles on Fantasy genre development that might pique your interest!
- Fantasy Worldbuilding Questions by Patricia C. Wrede
- Writing Science Fiction and Fantasy: A Few Quick Tips
- Fantasy Cliches (and other things) I Can’t Stand
- The Writers Helpers: Fantasy Genre Help
- Book List: Journeys and Quests
- Ten Fantasy Clichés That Should Be Put to Rest
- Writing Science Fiction/Fantasy: What to Avoid
Thank you for your question! If you have further questions or a comment to add, hit us up!