Quick Guide to Canon Terminology
- canon: that which has happened within the source material.
- canon-compliant: that which cannot be disproven by the source material.
- fanon: that which has been generally accepted by the fandom as true (often sourced in popular fics); usually canon-compliant; easily confused with canon.
- canon-shafted: wherein a concept which was canon-compliant is disproven by new source material (also known as being Jossed).
- fanwank: an effort to make new source material fanon-compliant (and, in extreme cases, canon-compliant) and thus avoid canon-shafting.
WARNING: caring about these concepts will lead to sleeplessness, hair loss, and alcoholism
It's not easy being a Shield fangirl!
You have to watch every moment, every tiny movement and every tiny gesture three times to be sure to have it all savored to the fullest! All three of them! This means rewinding the whole thing a thousand of times!
But well, then again this isn’t too bad after all lol