Tumblr is where tens of millions of creative people around the world share and follow the things they love.Sign up to find more cool stuff to follow
Sometimes I get sad and then remember Ellaria Sand is a character who exists
- WOC of illegitimate birth who won the affection of one prince and the admiration of another
- polyamourous bisexual in an open relationship whose love for her long-term partner is not compromised in any way in the text by this
- also doesn’t effect her ability to be a badass mother of four by the prince she’s not married to and in an open relationship with
- condemns revenge in a world where the politics demands it as well as her dangerous half-daughters (to the dangerous half-daughters’ faces).
- apparently really, really wants to have sex with a blond woman and is not afraid to be vocal about it when talking to her partner
- did I mention she had the admiration of the crowned prince because seriously that dude is wise as fuck and also 9,000 percent done with almost every single other person he knows
My favourite part about the relationship between Oberyn and Elia Martell isn’t even that he cared so much about his sister, that he was ready to go to war over her death. It was that Oberyn cared about Elia, and was angry at her death, but never let it control him.
Instead, he had a loving relationship with an amazing woman, had a bunch of kids who (even though they are hotheaded) seem to be the good sort at heart, and was a better father than most of the other Westerosi nobles. Yes, he eventually died avenging Elia, but he never let his whole life be consumed by that vengeance. You can say that Oberyn’s death was premature, but you also have to admit no one lived life more fully than him.
Which is why I don’t get when people complain that the Martells are too vengeful or whatever. Firstly, they seem to enjoy life more than most other Westerosi noble houses, and they aren’t as hellbent on killing each other.
And secondly, you bloody well killed the dude’s sister. What did you expect from him, flowers and a love letter?
“Oberyn wanted vengeance for Elia. Now the three of you want vengeance for him. I have four daughters, I remind you. Your sisters. My Elia is fourteen, almost a woman. Obella is twelve, on the brink of maidenhood. They worship you, as Dorea and Loreza worship them. If you should die, must El and Obella seek vengeance for you, then Dorea and Loree for them? Is that how it goes, round and round forever? I ask again, where does it end?" Ellaria Sand laid her hand on the Mountain's head. "I saw your father die. Here is his killer. Can I take a skull to bed with me, to give me comfort in the night? Will it make me laugh, write me songs, care for me when I am old and sick?”—
- George R.R. Martin, A Dance With Dragons
Love this quote. And if you think about it it’s so awful, because so many of the characters in this series are fighting for vengeance…and what does it mean, in the end?
(Also I’ve decided I like the Martells.)