DIY: Gold Hand Chain
An old necklace with a chain
1. Take your string and wrap it around your wrist to measure it’s circumfrence and cut the string. Now take a new piece of string and measure the circumfrence of your middle finger. Cut that piece. Take one last piece of string and measure from where a ring would sit on your middle finger to where a bracelet would sit on your wrist. These pieces of string will serve as the measuring devices for cutting your chain.
2. Next you have to deassemble your necklace. You can do this by either cutting the chains off with a wire cutter or undoing the links with the pliers, it depends on how your necklace is constucted.
3. Once you have your chain take the part with the hook and measure out the bracelet part using the string you used to measure the circumfrence of your wrist. Line the string up with the chain and cut the chain where the string ends. Proceed to do the same thing with the rest of the chain and your 2 other pieces of string.
4. Now there should be links connecting the charms to your necklace. If you look closely these links can be undone. This is where the pliers come in. Detach all the charms with your pliers so that you can use all of the links to assemble your hand chain.
5. You will use one link to connect your bracelet piece to the palm piece. Lay out your bracelet piece flat and place the palm piece perpendicular to it and connect by looping the link through both pieces and closing with the pliers. Repeat the same step with the ring piece and the palm piece to connect those together. Take one last link to connect the 2 ends of the ring piece together.
6. You can stop here and add charms to the palm piece if you’d like, or you can go on to make the piece a bit more intricate.
7. Take another piece of string and measure from the middle of your palm to your wrist on a diagonal. You will use this piece of string twice to cut 2 chains that you will connect to the palm piece and the bracelet piece to form a triangle. Connect both pieces with links.
8. Add any charms you want and you’re done!
For a video tutorial click here